Thursday, 19 June 2014

The Rising (The Painted Maidens Trilogy #1) by Terra Harmony


The Rising (The Painted Maidens Trilogy)
Blurb (from Goodreads):
Fifteen-year-old Serena is the youngest member of a dying race. The increasing acidity of the ocean is destroying her home, slowly eating away at the once thriving underwater landscape. But since the night of Serena’s birth, it is an outside force that most threatens their dwindling population. Werewolves, who once served as protectors for mermaids in the Kingdom of the Undine, now seek to eliminate all who dwell in the ocean — and Serena is about to find herself right in the middle of the deadly conflict.

Given the title of Werewolf Liaison, Serena is determined to make things right for her people. When she ventures to The Dry, she meets Liam, the werewolf with hazel eyes, and her whole world gets turned upside down. As Serena discovers the real history between werewolves and mermaids, she is left wondering who her true enemies are.


The Rising by Terra Harmony

My rating: 2.5 of 5 stars



The Rising (The Painted Maidens Trilogy)(Source: Downloaded for free during the Smashwords sale.)
15-year-old Serena is an Undine (mermaid), whose entire race is under threat from werewolves.
Can Serena bring harmony between the Undine’s and Werewolves before it is too late?


This was an okay story, but I did lose interest a bit towards the end.

Serena was an okay character. She was headstrong, but knew how far she could push the rules, and she accepted what she knew she couldn’t change.

The storyline in this was okay, but it did have its dull moments. It felt like the pace was quite slow at the beginning, and got bogged down with details about the Undine’s lives and customs. I liked Serena, but she did maybe ponder on things a bit too much at times.
I thought the story about what happened with the maidens and the wolves quite sad, and I didn’t see the little twist that we then got a bit later in the story.
There was a touch of romance, but I wasn’t a big fan. The romance seemed to pop up out of nowhere, and even Serena commented that it was a bad idea!

The ending was okay, but it felt a long time coming. I really had lost interest by that point, but wanted to finish the story. I did find one event a bit of a surprise, but the result of it wasn’t much of a surprise at all, as it was something that I had seen coming right from the very beginning.
I am glad that I gave this story a shot, as I liked the author’s other series, but I can’t say that I enjoyed this as much as I would have liked to.
Overall; okay story, but the pace was just a bit too slow,
5 out of 10.


No comments:

Post a Comment