Saturday, 7 June 2014

Take Back the Skies (Take Back the Skies #1) by Lucy Saxon

Sponsored post: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Bloomsbury Publishing Plc (UK & ANZ) and Netgalley.
Take Back the Skies
Blurb (from Goodreads):
Catherine Hunter is the daughter of a senior government official on the island of Anglya. She’s one of the privileged – she has luxurious clothes, plenty to eat, and is protected from the Collections which have ravaged families throughout the land. But Catherine longs to escape the confines of her life, before her dad can marry her off to a government brat and trap her forever.

So Catherine becomes Cat, pretends to be a kid escaping the Collections, and stows away on the skyship Stormdancer. As they leave Anglya behind and brave the storms that fill the skies around the islands of Tellus, Cat’s world becomes more turbulent than she could ever have imagined, and dangerous secrets unravel her old life once and for all . ..



Take Back the Skies by Lucy Saxon

My rating: 2.5 of 5 stars



Take Back the Skies(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Bloomsbury Publishing Plc (UK & ANZ) and Netgalley.)
14-year-old Catherine may be privileged, but she doesn’t want her father to dictate to her who she should marry, so she runs away.
Can Cat survive on her own? And will she eventually marry for love?


This was an okay story, but I kind-of lost interest.

Cat was an interesting character, and I actually liked her. I thought her plans were maybe a little rash, but overall she did seem to be quite well educated, she spoke well, and she seemed to really care about people, which was a good trait. She also seemed to go out of her way to try to help people, and seemed like generally a nice person.

The storyline in this was okay, but everything just seemed a little too easy, and several things were a little unbelievable. This felt more like a fairy-tale at points, and I found it hard to keep myself interested, and felt like I was forcing myself to keep reading. I did like the overall idea of where the story was going though.
There was some romance, just a little bit, and it fitted in with the story nicely.
The ending was poignant, and a little sad. It was nice to see how Cat had changed, and how she’d grown into the sort of woman who put her country before herself, but the ending was quite a bold move by the author, and I have to say that I did like it.
Overall; a bit unbelievable in places, but I loved the main character.
5 out of 10.


3 comments:

  1. Pretty cover. Not my cup of tea, but I appreciate the honest review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, not hearing good things about this one. But it is cool that a teen wrote it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just like you, I absolutely struggled with this book. It did feel really young to me but I can see potential. I do think the younger reader would enjoy this more.

    ReplyDelete