Wednesday, 18 June 2014

Summer of Yesterday by Gaby Triana

Sponsored post: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Simon & Schuster and Edelweiss.
Summer of Yesterday
Blurb (from Goodreads):
Back to the Future meets Fast Times at Ridgemont High when Haley’s summer vacation takes a turn for the retro in this totally rad romantic fantasy.

Summer officially sucks. Thanks to a stupid seizure she had a few months earlier, Haley’s stuck going on vacation with her dad and his new family to Disney’s Fort Wilderness instead of enjoying the last session of summer camp back home with her friends. Fort Wilderness holds lots of childhood memories for her father, but surely nothing for Haley. But then a new seizure triggers something she’s never before experienced—time travel—and she ends up in River Country, the campground’s long-abandoned water park, during its heyday.

The year? 1982.

And there—with its amusing fashion, “oldies” music, and primitive technology—she runs into familiar faces: teenage Dad and Mom before they’d even met. Somehow, Haley must find her way back to the twenty-first century before her present-day parents anguish over her disappearance, a difficult feat now that she’s met Jason, one of the park’s summer residents and employees, who takes the strangely dressed stowaway under his wing.

Seizures aside, Haley’s used to controlling her life, and she has no idea how to deal with this dilemma. How can she be falling for a boy whose future she can’t share?

Summer of Yesterday by Gaby Triana

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


Summer of Yesterday(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Simon & Schuster and Edelweiss.)



17-year-old Haley isn’t overly impressed that she has to spend a week at Disney World with her father and step-mother, but is even more surprised when she discovers an abandoned water park called River Country, and is sucked 32 years into the past.



What is the mystery surrounding River Country? And will Haley ever get home again?





This was an interesting time-travel story, and I really liked the creepy bit at the beginning.

Haley was an okay character, although her reactions at times weren’t what I expected. She goes into an abandoned creepy water park, does she think it’s creepy? No! She thinks it’s beautiful! She goes back in time to 1982, does she worry about how she’ll get back to her own time? No! She’s more interested in the hot guy she just met! Hmm, that’s not how I’d have been thinking if I ended up stuck 30+years in the past!



The storyline in this was pretty good, I think I did like the start of this the best though. I have to say that I have never heard of River Country before, and after doing a little research online, I have to say that it is 1. Really sad that the water park was abandoned, and 2. Kinda creepy that it’s all still sat there, slowly being taken back by nature.





Why the heck Disney haven’t renovated I do not know, because surely this site is just a honey pot for people wanting to sneak a peek, because whilst I think the whole thing is creepy, even I want to know what the heck it looks like now!





Anyway, back to the book. The beginning of this book where Haley finds out about River Country, and is tempted to sneak in was really good. I loved how creepy it was, and couldn’t quite believe what Haley was doing. If I had been in her shoes I would have been seriously freaked out, not trying to get further in!



The rest of the story from then on wasn’t quite so adrenalin inducing, but it was good. Once again, I found Haley’s behaviour and reasoning a little odd. I would have been much more worried about being stuck in the past than she was, but fair enough. Her match-making skills left a little to be desired, and I really don’t know what the heck she was trying to accomplish, but I don’t think she really achieved much!



There was some romance, but again, what exactly she thought she’d achieve by falling in love 30+ years in the past I do not know, so don’t expect a romantic ‘Happily-ever-after’ here.



The ending to this was okay, and I was pleased that things were put right. I did enjoy this book overall, and I have to say that finding out about River Country, and reading a story actually set there was really impressive for me, and definitely made this story more enjoyable.
Overall; really interesting story, and I liked the real-life history lesson!
7.5 out of 10.

1 comment: