Sunday, 8 June 2014

Nil by Lynne Matson


Nil
Blurb (from Goodreads):
On the mysterious island of Nil, the rules are set. You have one year. Exactly 365 days--to escape, or you die.

Seventeen-year-old Charley doesn’t know the rules. She doesn’t even know where she is. The last thing she remembers is blacking out, and when she wakes up, she’s lying naked in an empty rock field.

Lost and alone, Charley finds no sign of other people until she meets Thad, the gorgeous leader of a clan of teenage refugees. Soon Charley learns that leaving the island is harder than she thought . . . and so is falling in love. With Thad’s time running out, Charley realizes that to save their future, Charley must first save him. And on an island rife with dangers, their greatest threat is time.


Nil by Lynne Matson

My rating: 2.25 of 5 stars


Nil(Source: I own a copy of this book.)
17-year-old Charley gets hit by a heat-wave and somehow ends up on a random island, with no idea of how she got there.
When she eventually runs into two guys (who incidentally are really hot), she discovers that she is on an island called ‘Nil’, and that she has 365 days to get off it again, or she’ll die.
Will Charley get off the island in time? And is everyone on the island really attractive?


I knew from the first page that I wouldn’t like this book, and unfortunately I was right.

I don’t even know where to start with this book. I just didn’t like it. I was bored, I was confused, and I didn’t really care what happened to the characters, although I am pretty sure I’ll remember how weird this was!

Charley was an okay character I guess, but I didn’t really like her, and while everybody on the island commented on how good and wonderful she was, to me she was a bit vapid.

The storyline was just strange. At times it reminded me of the TV show ‘Lost’, and when a fellow reader commented that it reminded her of ‘The Maze Runner’ I could see that also, especially the closer to the end I got. We seemed to get left in the dark a lot, and at times the characters seemed more interested in how attractive everyone was, than in figuring out what the heck was going on.
There was some romance, but it was very much of the ‘Oh my gosh! I’ve never met you before, but I know that we were totally made for each other! Lets have lots of sex and babies!’ variety, and I just wasn’t buying it.

The ending was a relief, but unfortunately it wasn’t a relief from the nonsense. Why the heck a certain character did what he did was quite beyond me, and cemented him as the most stupid of the lot.
Overall; not good,
4.5 out of 10.


1 comment:

  1. Everything about this books appealed to me, until I read your review. There are so many books out there, I think I will pass on this one. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete