Wednesday, 11 June 2014

(Don't You) Forget About Me by Kate Karyus Quinn

Sponsored post: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to HarperCollins and Edelweiss.
(Don't You) Forget About Me
Blurb (from Goodreads):
Welcome to Gardnerville.

A place where no one gets sick. And no one ever dies.

Except...
There’s a price to pay for paradise. Every fourth year, the strange power that fuels the town exacts its payment by infecting teens with deadly urges. In a normal year in Gardnerville, teens might stop talking to their best friends. In a fourth year, they’d kill them.

Four years ago, Skylar’s sister, Piper, was locked away after leading sixteen of her classmates to a watery grave. Since then, Skylar has lived in a numb haze, struggling to forget her past and dull the pain of losing her sister. But the secrets and memories Piper left behind keep taunting Skylar—whispering that the only way to get her sister back is to stop Gardnerville’s murderous cycle once and for all.



(Don't You) Forget About Me by Kate Karyus Quinn

My rating: 2 of 5 stars



(Don't You) Forget About Me(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to HarperCollins and Edelweiss.)

Skylar lives in a place called Gardnerville. In Gardnerville nobody ever gets sick, and most people live to be over 100-years-old, well MOST of them.

Every fourth year the teens in Gardnerville go a little crazy, and usually people die. Newcomers don’t seem to be dissuaded by this though, and continue to arrive.

What this book is actually about though is beyond me.





This book was confusing and boring. Even after finishing it I have little idea of what happened, and I really don’t care.



This whole book was just weird. The way the book kept jumping from present day to various past times didn’t help either; it was like present day – five years ago – present day – ten years ago – present day – seven years ago, and it was really difficult to see how all these different things fitted in together.

The world building was also confusing. Things weren’t really explained well at all, and it was like the reader was supposed to just pick stuff up as you went along, but with so many seemingly strange and unrelated things going on it was really hard to follow, and even more difficult to actually enjoy.

Even when I did work out bits of what was happening, there just wasn’t enough to keep me entertained, and reading this became a real chore. This whole book was just one big long crazy trip, and I really didn’t enjoy it. Maybe I needed to be drunk or high or something for it to make sense, because stone-cold sober, it was pretty dire.



The best thing about this book was the ending – purely because I was so darn relieved that it was over! I really don’t know what went on in this book, or if anything was resolved. The whole thing was so confusing that I really haven’t got a clue, and I really am just glad to be finished! I really don’t think I’ll read anything by this author ever again.

Overall; confusing and boring,

4 out of 10.

2 comments:

  1. I do love the cover. ^_^ I'm reading a book like that right now and I am struggling to finish it. It is very rare when I give a book a DNF, but it is torture, so I can relate to you. Kudos for finishing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought the idea behind the book was cool, but I think I'll pass on it now or wait until I feel like I can tackle it. :/

    ReplyDelete