Wednesday, 25 June 2014

Born of Deception (Born of Illusion #2) by Teri Brown

Sponsored post: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to HarperCollins and Edelweiss.
Born of Deception (Born of Illusion, #2)
Blurb (from Goodreads):
Budding illusionist Anna Van Housen is on top of the world: after scoring a spot on a prestigious European vaudeville tour, she has moved to London to chase her dream and to join an underground society for people like her with psychic abilities. Along with her handsome beau, Cole Archer, Anna is prepared to take the city by storm.

But when Anna arrives in London, she finds the group in turmoil. Sensitives are disappearing and, without a suspect, the group’s members are turning on one another. Could the kidnapper be someone within the society itself—or has the nefarious Dr. Boyle followed them to London?

As Cole and Anna begin to unravel the case and secrets about the society are revealed, they find themselves at odds, their plans for romance in London having vanished. Her life in danger and her relationship fizzling, can Anna find a way to track down the killer before he makes her his next victim—or will she have to pay the ultimate price for her powers?

Set in Jazz-Age London, this alluring sequel to Born of Illusion comes alive with sparkling romance, deadly intrigue, and daring magic.


Born of Deception by Teri Brown

My rating: 2.25 of 5 stars


Born of Deception (Born of Illusion, #2)(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to HarperCollins and Edelweiss.)
Anna is travelling to London to meet up with Cole, and to also to meet other sensitives.
Will the meeting go as planned though?


After really enjoying ‘Born of Illusion’ I was really looking forward to ‘Born of Deception’, but unfortunately I was disappointed.

Anna was an okay character, if a little blind to things that were going on at times. She once again put herself in harm’s way unnecessarily, assuming that should could deal with whatever happened, even when she had no clue how she would achieve that.

The storyline in this was just slow, and I had real problems staying focused. With the first book I found that after a slow start it was really good, but with this one I kept waiting for the slow bit to pass, and waiting, and waiting, and still it didn’t come. I have to say that I was really disappointed, and didn’t feel like I really enjoyed this book at all.
There was some romance, but again, it just didn’t interest me.
The ending had a little more action, and it did seem like something worthwhile was finally going to happen, but it was too little, too late, and I just couldn’t bring myself to care. If anything I was just relieved that it was over.
Overall; dull, slow, and disappointing,
4.5 out of 10.


2 comments:

  1. That's disappointing to hear. I was pretty pleased with the stage magic elements in the first book, but it sounds like the sequel doesn't play on that strength. What a shame. There's so much to write about in Jazz-Age stories. Ah well, thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book and series just never caught my attention, and I think that was a good thing now.

    ReplyDelete