Tuesday, 20 May 2014

The Heiresses (Heiresses #1) by Sara Shepard

Sponsored post: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to HarperCollins and Edelweiss.
The Heiresses
Blurb (from Goodreads):
The series follows one of the most prestigious and wealthy families on the Upper East Side who have built their entire fortune on the business of diamonds.

Due to a clause the grandfather placed in his will, only his granddaughters are set to inherit his massive fortune…these are the heiresses. After the death of their cousin, the remaining heiresses try to figure out if the family curse is real or not, and if not, who killed their cousin, and more importantly, which one of them is next on the hit list?


The Heiresses by Sara Shepard

My rating: 3.75 of 5 stars


The Heiresses(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to HarperCollins and Edelweiss.)
Poppy, Aster, Corrine, Natasha, and Rowan are the heiresses of the Saybrook’s jewellery empire, a family business that is known for both its wealth, and a very old curse that leads to family members dying suddenly.
When one of the 5 heiresses is killed, and an online gossip site publishes a statement ‘One Heiress Down, 4 more to go’, an investigation is opened.
Who is the killer? Why did they kill one of the girls? Are they really targeting all 5 of them? And what other secrets was the dead girl hiding?


This was a good murder/mystery story, which was actually a little reminiscent of ‘Pretty Little Liars’.

I liked each of the girls in this, and I liked the way they all made their own mistakes. I loved how Aster changer, and Corrine couldn’t decide whether to through with her wedding. I liked how Poppy was such a good mother whilst also being head of the company, and how Rowan felt guilty for betraying her. I also liked the way even after everything that happened to them, they were still about to act like a family.

The storyline in this was pretty good, and I liked the hidden secrets and gossip. I thought that the addition of the Gossip website devoted to the Saybrooks gave this a hint of the ‘Pretty Little Liars’ series, although it could also be compared to Gossip Girl.
There were quite a few characters in this to keep track of, but I think this was sort-of necessary with such a large and public family, and I don’t think keeping track was all that difficult really.

There was a little romance, but it was more in the form of risky secret encounters rather than anything else and everyone seemed to be cheating on their significant other! I have to say that I did lose track with how many people one person’s husband was sleeping with!

The ending to this was good, but it did end on a cliff-hanger. For this reason I can only assume that this is going to turn into a series, and while I didn’t enjoy this as much as the ‘Pretty Little Liars’ books, I did think this was pretty good, and I’d definitely read the next book.
Overall; a good adult mystery/ chick-lit story
7.5 out of 10.


2 comments: