Monday, 12 May 2014

The Girl in the Clockwork Collar (Steampunk Chronicles #2) by Kady Cross


The Girl in the Clockwork Collar (Steampunk Chronicles, #2)
Blurb (from Goodreads):
In New York City, 1897, life has never been more thrilling-or dangerous Finley Jayne and her "straynge band of mysfits" have journeyed from London to America to rescue their friend Jasper from the clutches of a devious criminal demanding a trade-the dangerous device Jasper stole from him...for the life of the girl Jasper loves. One false move from Jasper, and the strange clockwork collar around Mei's neck tightens and tightens. From the rough streets of lower Manhattan to elegant Fifth Avenue, the motley crew of teens follows Jasper's elusive trail. And they're about to discover how far they'll go for friendship. More than ever, Finley must rely on powerful English duke Griffin King to balance her dark magic with her good side. Yet Griffin is at war with himself over his secret attraction to Finley...and will risk his life and reputation to save her. Now, to help those she's come to care for so deeply, Finley must infiltrate the criminal gang. Only problem is, she might like the dark side a little too much....

The Girl in the Clockwork Collar by Kady Cross

My rating: 3.38 of 5 stars


The Girl in the Clockwork Collar (Steampunk Chronicles, #2)(Source: I own a copy of this book.)
Jasper has been taken to New York by the dastardly Dalton, who wants what Jasper stole from him back, no matter what he has to do to get it. Griffin, Finley, Emily, and Sam then go after him to try and get him back.
What did Jasper steal? And will he be able to get it back?


This was another okay story, but once again it had trouble holding my attention to the end.

I do still like Finley, but she does act a little strangely at times. I really couldn’t blame Griffin for not trusting her, because I wouldn’t trust her either! I totally agreed with her on her views about Mei (the girl in the clockwork collar), she was a proper pain in the backside!

The storyline in this was okay, but once again I found myself getting bored towards the end. For some reason while these books start off alright, but the 70% point I’m getting restless. Whether it’s because the books seem to drag at this point, I don’t know, but this has happened with all three of these so far, including the novella which was pretty short.
We did get a couple of surprises in this, and I did enjoy it, but I didn’t love it.
There was a touch of romance, but it is getting a bit silly now, how long can this unrequited love affair be dragged out for?
The ending to this was okay, and I was actually happy that the girl in the clockwork collar got what was coming to her. I was also impressed that we weren’t left with a cliff-hanger this time!
Overall; a good story, but again, lost its appeal towards the end.
6.75 out of 10.


1 comment: