Friday, 23 May 2014

Reckoning (Silver Blackthorn #1) by Kerry Wilkinson

Sponsored post: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Pan Macmillan and Netgalley.
Reckoning (Silver Blackthorn, #1)
Blurb (From Goodreads):
In the village of Martindale, hundreds of miles north of the new English capital of Windsor, sixteen-year-old Silver Blackthorn takes the Reckoning. This coming-of-age test not only decides her place in society - Elite, Member, Inter or Trog - but also determines that Silver is to become an Offering for King Victor.

But these are uncertain times and no one really knows what happens to the teenagers who disappear into Windsor Castle. Is being an Offering the privilege everyone assumes it to be, or do the walls of the castle have something to hide?

Trapped in a maze of ancient corridors, Silver finds herself in a warped world of suspicion where it is difficult to know who to trust and who to fear. The one thing Silver does know is that she must find a way out . . .


 Reckoning by Kerry Wilkinson

My rating: 3.5 of 5 stars



Reckoning (Silver Blackthorn, #1)(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Pan Macmillan and Netgalley.)
16-year-old Silver is about to go through ’The Reckoning’ – an event which will determine which caste of society she fits into – either Elite, Member, Intermediate, or Trog; and therefore her job prospects for the rest of her life. Several teens from each area are sent to the castle though, as offerings to the King, and never see their families again, and when Silver ends up as an offering she isn’t quite sure what to expect.
What happens to the offerings? And should Silver by excited or scared?


I really wasn’t impressed with this story in the beginning, it reminded me of too many other books, but thankfully as it progressed, it came into its own a bit more, and I started to like it.

Silver was an interesting character, but at times she didn’t have quite the presence and drive that I would have liked her to have. She wasn’t reckless, but she also wasn’t as brave or sure as I would have liked her to be, and seemed quite happy to just try and fade into the background as camouflage all the time.

The storyline in this started off with an overwhelming ‘hunger-games’ feel to it, and the ‘reckoning’ just sounded so much like ‘reaping’ it wasn’t funny. There were also aspects in this book that reminded me of Legend by Marie Lu, Pawn by Aimee Carter, and even The Selection by Kiera Cass, to the point where I spent the first 25% of this book wondering if there were any ideas unique to this book in there at all! Thankfully though this book then came into its own a bit, although it then took quite a turn from its initial dystopian origins, and started to feel more like a fantasy story!

Anyway, the story did get better, and from the half-way mark I started to really enjoy it, and I’m glad that I persevered through the dodgy start! I liked the relationship that Silver built with Imrin, and I liked the little twists and turns the story took, and how futile their plans to escape seemed. I liked that at times I wasn’t sure if what was going on was actually part of the plan or not, and how they had even me fooled!

There was a little romance between Silver and Imrin, but it wasn’t overt, and it wasn’t a main part of the storyline.
The ending was by far the best part of this book though, and even though it was clear that this would only be part of Silver’s story, and that there would definitely be more to come, the story seemed to have finally found its way a bit.

I have to say that overall this book was a bit of a jumble though, the beginning was very dystopian, but then the story seemed to morph into more of a fantasy, which was a little strange, and even though I enjoyed this in the end, I have to say that it did have some flaws. I also have to say that the cover for this book just does not suit it at all, and is a bit misleading as to what this book is actually about.
Overall; a bit of a confused story, but enjoyable none-the-less,
7 out of 10.


No comments:

Post a Comment