Tuesday, 13 May 2014

Life by Committee by Corey Ann Haydu

Sponsored post: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to HarperCollins and Edelweiss.
Life by Committee
Blurb (from Goodreads):
Some secrets are too good to keep.

Tabitha might be the only girl in the history of the world who actually gets less popular when she gets hot. But her so-called friends say she’s changed, and they’ve dropped her flat.

Now Tab has no one to tell about the best and worst thing that has ever happened to her: Joe, who spills his most intimate secrets to her in their nightly online chats. Joe, whose touch is so electric, it makes Tab wonder if she could survive an actual kiss. Joe, who has Tabitha brimming with the restless energy of falling in love. Joe, who is someone else’s boyfriend.

Just when Tab is afraid she’ll burst from keeping the secret of Joe inside, she finds Life by Committee. The rules of LBC are simple: tell a secret, receive an assignment. Complete the assignment to keep your secret safe.

Tab likes it that the assignments push her to her limits, empowering her to live boldly and go further than she’d ever go on her own.

But in the name of truth and bravery, how far is too far to go?



Life by Committee by Corey Ann Haydu

My rating: 3.75 of 5 stars


Life by Committee(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to HarperCollins and Edelweiss.)
16-year-old Tabitha is having a rough time. Her mother is pregnant, her father is a stoner, her friends aren’t talking to her because they think she’s too sexy, and the boy she’s falling in love with already has an overly-needy girlfriend.
When Tabitha finds the URL for an internet group in the back of a used book, she joins to find a site known as ‘life by committee’. Every week, members must post a secret about themselves, and the guy who runs the site responds with an assignment that must be completed within 24 hours.
Tabitha admits that she kissed another girls boyfriend, only to find that her assignment is to do it again, and she’s not sure if she should.
Should Tabitha follow what the kids on life by committee tell her to do? Should she kiss Joe again? And will he ever leave his girlfriend for her?


This was a cute story, and I actually found it really entertaining.

I really liked Tabitha. She was an ordinary girl, with ordinary teenage problems, and I really felt sorry for her the way her friends victimised her. I liked that she found support in ‘Life by Committee’, and really wanted things to work out for her. I also loved Tabitha’s love of reading. I thought her ‘active reading’ idea where she wrote notes in one of her favourite books about what her thoughts and feelings were as she read it was really quite beautiful, and I loved how passionate she was about it. I also loved the way she then passed these books along and tried to find books that other people had marked up so that she could see how they viewed the same book. This kind-of reminded me of buddy reading which I also love, and even almost made me want to start doing the same myself.

The storyline in this wasn’t quite what I expected, but it really worked. This was more of a coming-of-age story than anything else, and I liked how Tabitha coped with her problems.
There were some really interesting parts to this story, and I loved some of Tabitha’s observations and ideas.
“I make myself throw up in the bathroom just to see if it will clear the feelings out of my chest. It doesn’t. I’m so not cut out for bulimia.”

I thought that the way that Tabitha and Joe interacted at the start was really sweet, and I liked how he made Tabitha feel loved, although I also thought that he started to use her at points as well.

The ‘Life by committee’ stuff was also quite interesting, although some assignments were more interesting than others. I loved the one where a girl gate-crashed her father’s wedding wearing her mother’s wedding dress, but some of the others were more risky than bold, and I wasn’t sure that everyone on the site should have just followed their assignments so blindly.

There were some twists and turns in this book that I didn’t see coming, and I really liked the way Tabitha grew as a person and learned to stand on her own two feet. The ending reminded me of a scene from a certain film, and I’m not sure how realistic it was, but it was still a pretty good ending for this story.
Overall; an enjoyable coming-of-age story.
7.5 out of 10.


No comments:

Post a Comment