Thursday, 22 May 2014

Halfway to the Grave (Night Huntress #1) by Jeaniene Frost


Halfway to the Grave (Night Huntress, #1)
Blurb (from Goodreads):
Flirting with the Grave...
Half-vampire Catherine Crawfield is going after the undead with a vengeance, hoping that one of these deadbeats is her father - the one responsible for ruining her mother's life. Then she's captured by Bones, a vampire bounty hunter, and is forced into an unholy partnership.
In exchange for finding her father, Cat agrees to train with the sexy night stalker until her battle reflexes are as sharp as his fangs. She's amazed she doesn't end up as his dinner - are there actually good vampires? Pretty soon Bones will have her convinced that being half-dead doesn't have to be all bad. But before she can enjoy her newfound status as kick-ass demon hunter, Cat and Bones are pursued by a group of killers. Now Cat will have to choose a side . . . and Bones is turning out to be as tempting as any man with a heartbeat.

Halfway to the Grave by Jeaniene Frost

My rating: 3.38 of 5 stars


Halfway to the Grave (Night Huntress, #1)(Source: I own a copy of this book.)
22-year-old Cat hunts and kills vampires, but when she meets Bones, she realises that this might be one vampire that she isn’t strong enough to kill.
Why does Bones want to teach Cat to be a better Vampire Hunter? And where is this relationship going?


Having previously read the second book in this series, I have to say I was pretty disappointed with this one.

Cat was an okay character, but Bones really did have a point when he said that she hadn’t really thought about what she was doing staking vampires. She really didn’t have any proof that they were murderers before she killed them, which was one heck of an oversight.

The storyline in this was okay I suppose, but the pace just dragged and dragged. Most of the first half of the book was just info-dump after info-dump, and I have to say that I got bored. I get that there was a lot of world-building, and that Bones was trying to teach Cat, but I felt like I was reading a vampire hunting manual at times.
There was some romance, although I did have trouble getting the attraction at times. There was one seriously steamy ‘love’ scene, which was hands down the best part of the book, but otherwise things seemed to quite suddenly go from teacher to lover, which was a little hard to understand.
The ending was okay, and sets up the next book nicely, I’m not desperate to read it though, even though I loved it when I read it before.
Overall; okay, but too slow,
6.75 out of 10.


No comments:

Post a Comment