Saturday, 10 May 2014

Generation Dead (Generation Dead #1) by Daniel Waters


Generation Dead (Generation Dead, #1)
Blurb (from Goodreads):
All over the tri-state area, something strange is happening. Teenagers who die aren't staying dead. They are coming back to life, but they come back different - they stutter and their reactions to everything are slower. Termed 'living impaired' or 'differently biotic', there are lots of conspiracy theories to explain this new phenomenon. But as their numbers keep on growing, so does the discomfort of the living people in the community. When Phoebe falls for Tommy Williams, her best friend and star of the football team, Adam, has conflicting emotions. And when Tommy decides to try out for the football team, it sets off a chain of events that escalates into deadly violence.

Generation Dead by Daniel Waters

My rating: 3.25 of 5 stars


Generation Dead (Generation Dead, #1)(Source: I own a copy of this book.)
Some teenagers in America are dying, and then becoming reanimated. The description the government is using is ‘living impaired’ but the other kids just call them Zombies.
Phoebe is a Goth, and seems to be developing an attraction to one of the zombies called Tommy.
Can a norm and a zombie be together though? And what will everyone else say if they do start a relationship?


This was an okay story, but it was a bit dull at times.

Phoebe was a bit of an odd character. I understand that love isn’t easy, and that people don’t necessarily have a choice over who they love, but extending that to a zombie is just a little too much like necrophilia for me.

The storyline in this was okay, but it was a bit too slow. Not a lot happened for a 400 pages book, and it seemed to take a long while to get through. I got the idea of trying to help the ‘living impaired’ to become accepted members of society, but I could also see how difficult that was going to be, and I wasn’t surprised that some members of society were hailing the living dead as the first sign of an impending apocalypse.
There were a few events in this book that I’m guessing where supposed to be exciting, but I can’t say I was really excited, and at times I really couldn’t believe how long it took these kids to work out what was going on, as I seemed to know way ahead of them!

There was some romance in this, but I just couldn’t get past the fact that Tommy was a zombie. I had this problem with ‘Warm Bodies’, although I have to say that this book wasn’t as bad as that one. Tommy was less zombie-like than expected I suppose, and I could see how Phoebe might be attracted to him, but still; necrophilia. What liking Tommy boils down to is fancying a corpse, which is just wrong I’m afraid. Vampires are one thing, but zombies are something else entirely.
The end to this was basically a big cliff-hanger. I suppose I should be grateful that I already have the next book ready to read, but those next 400 pages are looking quite long right about now.
Overall; an okay, if overly long story,
6.5 out of 10.


1 comment:

  1. Wow, that's a long book for not a lot to happen.

    ReplyDelete