Sunday, 4 May 2014

Forever by Judy Blume


37743
Blurb (from Goodreads):
There's a first for everything.
When you build up something in your mind — really imagine it, wish for it — sometimes, when it actually happens, it doesn't live up to your expectations.
True love is nothing like that.
Especially not for Katherine and Michael, who can't get enough of each other. Their relationship is unique: sincere, intense, and fun all at the same time. Although they haven't been together all that long, they know it's serious. A whole world opens up as young passion and sexuality bloom.
But it's senior year of high school, and there are big changes ahead. Michael and Katherine are destined for another big "first": a decision. Is this the love of a lifetime, or the very beginning of a lifetime of love?

Forever by Judy Blume

My rating: 3.38 of 5 stars


37743(Source: I own a copy of this book.)
17-year-old Kath meets Michael, and slowly they fall in love. Michael wants to have sex, but Kath isn’t quite so ready to take the next step.
When will Kath and Michael finally take the plunge? And does making love really mean forever?


I haven’t read this book in years, so whilst my kindle was otherwise occupied last night, I took this off the shelf and thought I would give it a read.

I liked Kathryn, and I thought that she was very mature and sensible. I liked the way she told Michael that she wasn’t ready, and I liked the way she insisted on using contraception.
Michael on the other hand was different. I had not remembered how big of a jerk he was, and my opinion of him certainly lowered as I re-read this book. I couldn’t quite believe how he was so desperate to have sex, and didn’t want to use contraception, and wasn’t very nice to Kath at times!

The storyline in this was okay, and again I liked how sensible Kath was, and how she took precautions and tried to practice safe sex. Again though, I really hadn’t remembered how big of a jerk Michael was! I thought that the ideas of sex and safe sex were handled well in this book without coming across as preachy, and I also thought the ending was handled well (by Kath at least).
I am glad that I re-read this book, and I did enjoy it, but at times, I really wanted Kath to knee Michael where it hurts.
Overall; good YA story about sex,
6.75 out of 10.


No comments:

Post a Comment