Thursday, 17 April 2014

Thief (The Scarab Beetle #1) by C.L. Stone

Sponsored post: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Arcato Publishing and Netgalley.
Thief (The Scarab Beetle #1)
Blurb (from Goodreads):
Kayli Winchester is a dirt-poor girl living out of a hotel, forced to be the parent for a drunken father and teenage brother who she’s desperate to keep in school. The only way she scrapes by is to utilize her one skill: pickpocketing. But even though she’s a thief she has a moral code: no kids or old ladies, only targets who can defend themselves. Not that they see her coming…

Thinking she’s been working under the radar, Kayli has no idea The Academy has been watching and taking notice. Now a team that needs her skill has offered her a way out of her predicament and it’s her last chance: work with them, or face jail time. Kayli resists at first, but slowly the boys reveal they can be trusted. With Marc, the straight man, Raven, the bad-boy Russian, Corey and Brandon the twins as different as night and day, and Axel their stoic leader, there’s a lot Kayli can learn from these Academy guys about living on the edge of the law. If only she can stay on the good side instead of the bad.

Especially when the job they offer her is more than any of them bargained for. After it’s done, the hunters have become the hunted and their target is now after Kayli. The Academy boys do their best to keep her hidden, but a thief like Kayli will never sit still for long.

Meet an all-new Academy team in Thief, the beginning of the Scarab Beetle series.

Warning: This is a new adult series. Readers of the other Academy series may need some caution as this series will contain mature sexual and violent situations and themes.


Thief by C.L. Stone

My rating: 1 of 5 stars


Thief (The Scarab Beetle #1)(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Arcato Publishing and Netgalley.)

This book ->

I don’t even know where to start with this book. I cannot even put into words how much I disliked this, but I’m going to try. I apologise in advance if I have to leave you with my status updates!

Kayli. Kayli, Kayli, Kayli. Where do I even start? I don’t think I have ever come across a character who snogged as many boys in one book as she did, or slept in the same bed as so many different guys! I mean, there was Mark, then there was Raven, then Brandon, then Blake, then back to Mark. I mean really? How many guys can one girl swap spit with over the course of a couple of days?



The kissing wasn’t the only thing that bothered me about Kayli though, I also didn’t get why she felt the need to check out guys who had kidnapped her! It seemed that every time she got kidnapped, all she thought about was how attractive her kidnapper was! I mean really? And I have to say that I was also quite startled that when a naked guy walked into the room she was in, we got a fairly detailed description of “his partially erect length”. Sorry, but that was unexpected, and really not appreciated.



Then we come to the storyline. How many times can one girl get kidnapped? How many stupid things can one girl do? How can a teenage girl not have figured out that shooting a nail gun at someone is not a clever thing to do?



How relieved am I to have finished this book? How pleased am I to be able to delete this from my kindle? How annoyed am I that this book just stops without a proper ending?



Oh crap, I can’t bear to even think about this book any more. I’m going to leave you with my status updates!

10% - "I couldn't stop staring at the definition of his sculpted body, the defining lines of his collarbone and the matching indents on the sides of his hips.
not to mention his penis."
Really?

15% - Where the feck did that come from? unexpected, and unappreciated. I like a little warning when people are about to start discussing -I quote "his partially erect length"
no thanks."
18% - "I am so bored."
19% - "she's putting bullets in guns for them? is she crazy?! has she never heard of something called 'finger printing'? if they use those guns and bullets in a theft that goes wrong they've got her finger prints all over them!! not a good idea!!"
21% - "Weak in the knees?! What the hell is wrong with you?! He's an ass!"
39% - "OMG how many guys can one girl flirt with at once? Is this turning into an orgy or something?!"
47% - "bored."
51% - "I don't believe he's really gay."
53% - "she's kissing someone different again? Is she trying to go through every guy in the gang??!!"
55% - "this girl is nuts. has no-one ever told her not to fire nail guns at people?!!?"
59% - "why does everyone want to kidnap this girl?!"
60% - "what is her obsession with checking out guys who have kidnapped her?! talk about a one track mind!"
67% - "seriously? who are you trying to kid?!"
71% - "she's kissing someone different again?? what is with this girl? Is this bloke number 4 in one book?!"
75% - "Oh poo! still 25% to go! ☹"
77% - "now she's kissing the first bloke again. damn this girl gets around!"
78% - "she shot him in the knee with a nail gun, but he still wants to screw her. talk about messed up."
84% - "will the torment never end??? ☹"
85% -
86% - "oh gosh! you can shoot him, but don't wreck his yacht! what is it with this stupid book?!"
87% - "yes! jump! off a cliff hopefully."
90% - "she's taken? does that mean she's going to make a choice out of the 5 guys she's hitting on?"
91% - "really? give me a break!!!"
93% - "It ends at 93%!!!!

Overall; just yuck,
2 out of 10.



1 comment:

  1. Wow, this sounds really bad. checking out how hot your kidnappers are is yuck.

    ReplyDelete