Tuesday, 29 April 2014

The Taking (The Taking #1) by Kimberly Derting

Sponsored post: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to HarperCollins and Edelweiss.
The Taking (The Taking, #1)
Blurb (from Goodreads):
A flash of white light . . . and then . . . nothing.

When sixteen-year-old Kyra Agnew wakes up behind a Dumpster at the Gas ’n’ Sip, she has no memory of how she got there. With a terrible headache and a major case of déjà vu, she heads home only to discover that five years have passed . . . yet she hasn’t aged a day.

Everything else about Kyra’s old life is different. Her parents are divorced, her boyfriend, Austin, is in college and dating her best friend, and her dad has changed from an uptight neat-freak to a drunken conspiracy theorist who blames her five-year disappearance on little green men.

Confused and lost, Kyra isn’t sure how to move forward unless she uncovers the truth. With Austin gone, she turns to Tyler, Austin’s annoying kid brother, who is now seventeen and who she has a sudden undeniable attraction to. As Tyler and Kyra retrace her steps from the fateful night of her disappearance, they discover strange phenomena that no one can explain, and they begin to wonder if Kyra’s father is not as crazy as he seems. There are others like her who have been taken . . . and returned. Kyra races to find an explanation and reclaim the life she once had, but what if the life she wants back is not her own?


The Taking by Kimberly Derting

My rating: 3.38 of 5 stars


The Taking (The Taking, #1)(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to HarperCollins and Edelweiss.)
When 16-year-old Kyra wakes up behind the Gas’n’sip, the last thing she remembers is arguing with her father about which college she should attend.
She returns home expecting some kind of repercussion after being out all night, only to find that her home isn’t her home anymore; she’s been missing for 5 years.
What happened to Kyra? Where has she been for 5 years? And why doesn’t she look a day older than the day she disappeared?


This was an okay story; it started off strong, but I lost interest as it went along.

I have to say I was a little wary when starting this book, because I was worried that Kyra would be like Violet from the ‘Body Finder’ series, but thankfully Kyra was nothing like her!
I liked Kyra, I liked how forthright she was, and I liked how she made the best of a bad situation, and didn’t just accept things at face value. I did think that she maybe didn’t wonder quite enough about where she’d been for 5 years, and maybe didn’t consider possible reasons for her disappearance, but otherwise I liked her.

I liked the storyline in this at the beginning. I found it quite surprising, and I liked the little twists and turns. I was a bit concerned about the romance, because it was a bit of a weird situation that Kyra had ended up in, but I was enjoying the book. Then, the book lost its appeal. I don’t know why, I just lost interest, and ended up feeling like I was forcing myself to keep reading, which was a real shame after I liked the beginning so much. In the end this book took me at least twice as long to read as I expected.
The ending was okay, but I really had lost interest by that point. It will be interesting to see what happens next, but if I had the next book here right now I wouldn’t be picking it up right after finishing this one.
Overall; strong start, but I lost interest half way through.
6.75 out of 10

2 comments:

  1. To bad. I've come across this title before and it looked promising. I appreciate your honesty though. :-)

    Anna from Shout with Emaginette

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy the twists and turns were good.

    ReplyDelete