Monday, 7 April 2014

The Interrogation of Ashala Wolf (The Tribe #1) by Ambelin Kwaymullina

Sponsored post: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Candlewick Press and Netgalley.
The Interrogation of Ashala Wolf
Blurb (from Goodreads):
A compelling debut novel asks what happens when children develop inexplicable abilities—and the government sees them as a threat.

They’re known as Firestarters. Boomers. Skychangers. The government calls them Illegals — children with inexplicable abilities — and detains them in menacing facilities so that society is kept out of harm’s way. Ashala Wolf and her Tribe of fellow Illegals have taken refuge in the Firstwood, a forest eerily conscious of its inhabitants, where they do their best to survive and where they are free to practice their abilities. But when Ashala is compelled to venture outside her territory, she is betrayed by a friend and captured by an enemy. Injured and vulnerable, with her own Sleepwalker ability blocked, Ashala is forced to succumb to a machine that will pull secrets from her mind. It’s only a matter of time before the machine ferrets out the location of the Tribe. Her betrayer, Justin Connor, is ever-present, saving her life when she wishes to die and watching her every move. Will the Tribe survive the interrogation of Ashala Wolf?



The Interrogation of Ashala Wolf by Ambelin Kwaymullina

My rating: 2.5 of 5 stars




The Interrogation of Ashala Wolf(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Candlewick Press and Netgalley.)
Ashala has a special ability, and has been on the since she was 12, not wanting to be assessed and detained because of her ability.
Now Ashala has been captured though, and she’s about to be interrogated by those who wish to assess and detain those with special abilities.


This book just wasn’t for me. I had trouble keeping up with what was going on, and I just didn’t find the story interesting.

This was one of those books where the story seemed fractured and disjointed, and I just wasn’t interested enough to be able to work out what was going on and stay interested.
The start of the book was basically Ash being questioned, and then being drugged and having some kind of memory machine used on her. Then there was something going on with a girl that she recognised from the wilds where she lived, who turned out to not be exactly who/what Ash thought her to be. We then had this part where Ash had to go back and relive 5 memories or something, and I really just had no clue what was going on. I kept going back and re-reading bits but it just wouldn’t go in, and it really didn’t interest me.
When I got to the end I really had little idea as to what had happened, and couldn’t even say that the book was bad, I just didn’t get it, and unfortunately I was just glad that I had made it to the end.
I’m not really sure who I could possibly recommend this to, because it just really didn’t work for me.
Overall; confusing, and couldn’t hold my interest.
5 out of 10.


2 comments:

  1. OMG, I so thought this story would be so interesting. Guess I was wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't heard of this one, but sorry to hear it was confusing and disjointed

    ReplyDelete