Friday, 25 April 2014

The Fearless by Emma Pass

Sponsored post: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Random House Children’s Publishers UK and Netgalley.
The Fearless
Blurb (from Goodreads):
The Fearless. An army, powered by an incredible new serum that makes each soldier stronger, sharper, faster than their enemies. Intended as a force for good, the serum has a terrible side-effect - anyone who takes it is stripped of all humanity, empathy, love. And as the Fearless sweep through the country, forcing the serum on anyone in their path, society becomes a living nightmare.

Cass remembers the night they passed through her village. Her father was Altered. Her mother died soon after. All Cass has left is her little brother - and when Jori is snatched by the Fearless and taken to their hellish lair, Cass must risk everything to get him back.


The Fearless by Emma Pass

My rating: 2.75 of 5 stars


The Fearless(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Random House Children’s Publishers UK and Netgalley.)
17-year-old Cass lives on an island with her younger brother, one of only a few surviving humans to have not been ‘Altered’ – injected with a serum to make them ‘Fearless’.
When an unaltered stranger turns up on the island, and Cass’s younger brother is then kidnapped, Cass makes the decision to take off on her own to rescue him.
Can Cass save her brother before it’s too late? And are the people on the island really the only people left alive?


This was an okay story, but I lost interest.

Cass was an okay character, but I have to say that she annoyed me a bit. I got that her brother was her last living relative, and she was upset when he was kidnapped, but her plan to go off and rescue him was so rash it was a joke. Not only was she an idiot for going to the shudders to get a coat for a boy she didn’t even know, I couldn’t believe that she’d allow her 7-year-old brother to go with her, so for me she was kind-of asking for something to happen to him. Then when something did, she had a knee-jerk reaction of ‘must rescue him’, never considering that she would probably get herself killed in the process, and for some unknown reason decided to break a boy who she didn’t even know out of the prison, and take him with her. I mean really? Her actions and decisions were so immature and reckless it was ridiculous.

The storyline in this was okay, but I lost interest after the first 20%. Cass’s poor decision making skills, and immature behaviour made me dislike this book, and I couldn’t quite believe what was happening. The pace was pretty slow from then onwards, and I just got bored. I got to the point where I wasn’t even sure that I could be bothered to finish this, and had to force myself to keep reading.
The ending was okay~ish, but I was so bored that I had little idea of what was actually going on. I was just glad when it was over.
Overall; immature main character, and unbelievable storyline.
5.5 out of 10.


No comments:

Post a Comment