Saturday, 5 April 2014

Sweet Evil (The Sweet Trilogy #1) by Wendy Higgins


Sweet Evil (The Sweet Trilogy, #1)
Blurb (from Goodreads):
Embrace the Forbidden

What if there were teens whose lives literally depended on being bad influences?

This is the reality for sons and daughters of fallen angels.
Tenderhearted Southern girl Anna Whitt was born with the sixth sense to see and feel emotions of other people. She's aware of a struggle within herself, an inexplicable pull toward danger, but it isn't until she turns sixteen and meets the alluring Kaidan Rowe that she discovers her terrifying heritage and her willpower is put to the test. He's the boy your daddy warned you about. If only someone had warned Anna.

Forced to face her destiny, will Anna embrace her halo or her horns?


Sweet Evil by Wendy Higgins

My rating: 3.12 of 5 stars


Sweet Evil (The Sweet Trilogy, #1)(Source: I own a copy of this book.)
Anna has always known she was different, but when she meets a boy who claims to be the same as her, she has no idea what she has let herself in for.
Why is Anna different? And can a boy who is a self-confessed lust addict ever give up his lifestyle for a naïve virgin?


I have mixed feelings about this book. I did like parts of it, but I also thought that it was way too long, and had way too many info-dumps.

Anna was an okay character, but for me she really was too good and virginal, and a bit too naïve. Even after meeting Kai, and her father, and learning all that she did about what she was, and what her purpose was, and what nephilim had to do, she was still naïve enough to think that she was different, and that the same rules didn’t apply to her. For me she needed to act a little more, and toe the line just a little bit, by losing her virginity for example, when she knew that both her own and her father’s life would be at stake if she was caught out.

The storyline in this was okay, but the amount of information was just mind-boggling at times. Pretty much the entire road-trip part of this book was one big long info-dump. Day after day, scene after scene of ask and answer, teach and be taught, and I really did get a bit sick of it after a while. I got that there was a lot of world building in this book, and I got that the author wanted to get the info across, but at the same time it just got to be just way too much. I didn’t mind the book to start with, but my patience can only last so long when assaulted by so much information.

The romance was a big part of the storyline, but I really did have issues with it. Sure Kai was good looking, and she was instantly attracted to him etc. but for me he was just missing vital emotions and standards. Fair enough that he tried to sleep with her, but for her to turn him down and for him to immediately go out to knock boots with some other girl was just unacceptable for me. If he’d admitted that he actually cared about her, or if he hadn’t wanted to go off doing other girls that would have been different, but he seemed to really easily just brush her off, and go off to have sex with other girls without really a care. Sorry, but that just didn’t do it for me. I’d take a player, but only if he showed how much he cared in some way, and wasn’t happily going off having sex with other girls without a care.

The ending to this was okay, but this book was so long that I had really lost interest by the time we got there. I can’t say I really enjoyed the end of this book, because I had just had enough, and I can’t say that I’m looking forward to reading the sequel. I think the next two books in this series, and the last two books in the beautiful dark series are going to require a real will to succeed, and a lot of chocolate to get through.
Overall; way too long, and Kai just wasn’t enough for me.
6.25 out of 10.


1 comment:

  1. This does seem to be a 50-50 book. People are never really sure if they liked it.

    ReplyDelete