Tuesday, 1 April 2014

Salvage by Alexandra Duncan

Sponsored post: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to HarperCollins and Edelweiss.
Salvage
Blurb (from Goodreads):
Ava, a teenage girl living aboard the male-dominated deep space merchant ship Parastrata, faces betrayal, banishment, and death. Taking her fate into her own hands, she flees to the Gyre, a floating continent of garbage and scrap in the Pacific Ocean, in this thrilling, surprising, and thought-provoking debut novel that will appeal to fans of Across the Universe, by Beth Revis, and The Handmaid's Tale, by Margaret Atwood.

Salvage by Alexandra Duncan

My rating: 3.5 of 5 stars


Salvage(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to HarperCollins and Edelweiss.)
16-year-old Ava is the eldest daughter of the captain of the space ship on which her people live, and is a little nervous when she is told that she will soon be a bride.
When it becomes clear that she will be wed to a member of another ship – the Ó”ther, she begins to hope that she will be wed to Luck – a boy who she met a long time ago, who she has always dreamed of marrying.

A mistake based on an assumption leads Ava to be disowned by her own father though, and if not for the help of one woman on the ship, her father would have killed her.
Instead, alone on earth, Ava must learn to live in the higher gravity that she is not used to, and find a way to make a life for herself, without her family, and without Luck.
Can Ava survive? What has become of Luck? And is there any hope for the future for Ava?


I really liked the beginning of this book, but it lost its way a bit in the middle.

Ava was at heart a girl who did what she was told, and didn’t like to question authority. When she did feel that there was something she could do, she tried to do her best to do it, whilst also trying to hide the fact that she might be going against the rules.

The storyline in this was okay, although I did find the middle of the book to be quite slow and not as captivating as the beginning of the story. The beginning held much more intrigue and excitement, and I loved every minute of it, but the middle was quite dull in comparison, and didn’t pick up again until the 90% mark for me. While the pace was quite slow all the way through, I only found myself getting distracted during the middle part, whilst the first ~35% was un-put-down-able!

The world building in this was very good, and we learned a lot at the beginning about the world that Ava lived in, and the traditions and expectations of her people. I really liked the part of the story that took part on the ship, and thought that this part was done really well.

I really liked the romance in this book, and this was one of the best parts for me. I liked the emotion between Ava and Luck, and they were so sweet together. It was such a shame that they weren’t allowed to be together, and their respective father’s ideas of punishment were extremely harsh.

The ending of this was okay, but was a little bittersweet. It was good in terms of the fact that Ava was in a very good position and was happy, and that things were looking up for her, but was slightly bitter because Ava’s actual future was very different from her childhood dreams of her future.
Overall; an interesting sci-fi/dystopian with some really good world building.
7 out of 10.


3 comments:

  1. I don't think I'm going to miss not reading this book. Too many out there--if you know what I mean. :-)

    Anna from Shout with Emaginette

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am still pretty excited for this book. At least it was descent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. UGH, I struggled with this one. In the beginning I liked it, but when she lands this book loses me. I just didn't feel like it had a direction. Glad you were able to enjoy it more!

    ReplyDelete