Tuesday, 15 April 2014

Nantucket Red (Nantucket #2) by Leila Howland

Sponsored post: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Disney Book Group and Netgalley.
Nantucket Red (Nantucket, #2)
Blurb (from Goodreads):
Cricket Thompson's lifetime of overachieving has paid off: she's headed to Brown University in the fall, with a spot on the lacrosse team and a scholarship that covers almost everything. Who knew living in the dorm cost money? An Ivy League education seems to mean living at home for the next four years.

When Cricket is offered the chance to earn enough cash to afford a real college experience, she heads back to Nantucket for the summer. But the faraway island challenges Cricket in ways she hadn't anticipated. It's hard to focus on earning money for next year, when she finds her world opening up in entirely new ways-to art, to travel, and, most unexpectedly, to a future completely different from the one she has been working toward her whole life. A friendship blossoms with Ben, the gorgeous surfer and bartender who encourages Cricket to be free, even as she smarts at the pain of seeing Zack, her first love, falling for her worst enemy.

But one night, when Cricket finally lets herself break all her own rules, she realizes she may have ruined her carefully constructed future with one impulsive decision. Cricket must dig deep to fight for her future, discovering that success isn't just about reaching goals, but also about listening to what she's been trying to ignore-her own heart.


Nantucket Red by Leila Howland

My rating: 2.5 of 5 stars



Nantucket Red (Nantucket, #2)(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Disney Book Group and Netgalley.)
Cricket isn’t sure what will happen with her relationship with Zack during the school year, as Zack has decided to go to boarding school. It seems they don’t want to do the long-distance relationship thing though.
Will Cricket and Zack get back together next summer? Or will other people come between them?


This was an okay story, but I didn’t like it as much as the first one.

Cricket was an okay character in this, although she did make some odd choices and some big mistakes. Why she agreed to not do the long-distance relationship thing, and to not date Zack until summer again was quite beyond me. I thought that they loved each other enough to make long-distance work, but they obviously weren’t so sure.

The storyline in this didn’t really hold my attention, and I got bored quite quickly. I didn’t really care about Cricket’s college and hockey issues, and I didn’t even feel swayed by the problems she was having with Jules, especially as they seemed to basically disappear overnight!
There wasn’t all that much romance, but what there was didn’t really interest me unfortunately. I just didn’t feel it this time, and I wanted Cricket to work things out with Zack and stop being so silly!
The ending to this was okay, and we did get a happily ever after of sorts, I just didn’t enjoy this book as much as I expected to though.
Overall; not as good as the first.
5 out of 10.


2 comments:

  1. Now I'm nervous to read this! I sort of saw Zack as a fling, so maybe I'll like this more than you did.
    Great review!
    Thanks so much for stopping by! Jen @ YA Romantics

    ReplyDelete