Friday, 18 April 2014

Matched (Matched #1) by Ally Condie


Matched (Matched, #1)
Blurb (from Goodreads):
Cassia has always trusted the Society to make the right choices for her: what to read, what to watch, what to believe. So when Xander's face appears on-screen at her Matching ceremony, Cassia knows with complete certainty that he is her ideal mate... until she sees Ky Markham's face flash for an instant before the screen fades to black.

The Society tells her it's a glitch, a rare malfunction, and that she should focus on the happy life she's destined to lead with Xander. But Cassia can't stop thinking about Ky, and as they slowly fall in love, Cassia begins to doubt the Society's infallibility and is faced with an impossible choice: between Xander and Ky, between the only life she's known and a path that no one else has dared to follow.


Matched by Ally Condie

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


Matched (Matched, #1)(Source: I own a copy of this book.)
17-year-old Cassia is about to be matched with her perfect match; the person she’ll spend the rest of her life with. But is her perfect match really her perfect match? Or will a glitch change her life forever?


This was an interesting dystopian story, but it was just missing a little something to make it truly great.

Cassia was an interesting character, but she let herself be led so much. She was so afraid of doing even the littlest thing wrong, that it dominated her life. I got that things had to be like that if she wanted to stay out of trouble, but she took this obedience to such extremes that it was like she was afraid to breathe too deeply.

The storyline in this was interesting, and elements of it reminded me of other dystopian books. The pace was quite slow though, and the writing quite lyrical and drawn out, although I wasn’t quite as sucked in as I thought I’d be. I did like the start of this book, and the magic of the matching banquet, but unfortunately the rest of the book wasn’t quite so good.
I did have some questions during this book, I wondered why people didn’t question certain things, and I was really irritated by some of the things that happened. My biggest dislike in this book was when Cassia’s Grandfather was killed. This was really sad, and really difficult for me to read, and I couldn’t recommend this book to anyone who was still grieving their own grandfather.

The romance was the main storyline really, but it was really slow and drawn out. If anything it was a little too drawn out, and we ended the story with still unrequited love.
The ending was interesting, but again, it wasn’t great. It will be interesting to see where the story goes from here, but I have been warned that the other two books aren’t as good, so I maybe shouldn’t get my hopes up that the next two books will be able to accomplish what this one could not.
Overall; an interesting dystopian, but not truly great.
8 out of 10.


2 comments:

  1. I agree with you, I liked this one but didn't love it. Great review!

    Teresa @ Readers Live A Thousand Lives

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, you have me interested in this one with the not-so-good parts.

    ReplyDelete