Saturday, 12 April 2014

Legacy Code (Legacy Code Saga #1) by Autumn Kalquist

Sponsored post: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to author Autumn Kalquist.
Legacy Code
Blurb (from Goodreads):
The last humans fled a dying Earth 300 years ago, but there was something they couldn’t leave behind: the Legacy Code.

Every colonist in the fleet carries mangled genes that damage the unborn, and half of all pregnancies must be terminated.

The day seventeen-year-old Era Corinth is supposed to find out if her baby has the Defect, her ship suffers a hull breach. And it may not have been an accident.

As the investigation unfolds, Era begins to question everything she’s been taught about the fleet, their search for a new Earth, and the Defect. But the answers she seeks were never meant to be found...



Legacy Code by Autumn Kalquist

My rating: 2.5 of 5 stars



Legacy Code(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to author Autumn Kalquist.)
17-year-old Era lives on some kind of spaceship, with her husband Dritan. She’s pregnant, but one in every two babies has to be aborted due to a genetic defect.
Will Era’s baby survive? Or can she find a way to save it before it’s too late?


This was an okay story, but I did lose interest quite early on.

Era was an okay character, but I found it hard to connect with her. I understood her situation, but I just couldn’t empathise with her, and it made the book less enjoyable.

The storyline was okay, but I just felt myself losing interest, and had to force myself to keep reading. I found the storyline about the babies and the defect a lot more interesting than the other storylines, but that was mostly because it was a bit of a controversial topic rather than anything else. The question of whether it was better to abort, or to carry the baby to term only to watch it die, was obviously quite a sensitive subject.
There was a little romance, but I just couldn’t get into it. I don’t know why, but I just didn’t feel the love between Era and Dritan, and although it was clear that Era cared for him, I didn’t care for him at all.
The ending to this was a bit of a non-ending in my opinion. We did find some things out during the course of the book, but the ending didn’t clear anything up, and left us with one heck of a cliff-hanger, a real high-stakes ‘orphans on a train’ style cliff-hanger.

 
Overall; okay story, but I lost interest,
5 out of 10.


1 comment:

  1. Yeah, it's not ringing my bell from just your review.

    ReplyDelete