Saturday, 19 April 2014

Goddess by Laura Powell

Sponsored post: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Bloomsbury Publishing Plc (UK & ANZ) and Netgalley.
Goddess
Blurb (From Goodreads):
Strikes. Starvation. Riots. Britain is at breaking-point and Aura is blind to it all. The Cult of Artemis is the only home she’s ever known. Enclosed in its luxury lifestyle, the unrest gripping the country seems to belong to a distant world. Her dream is to serve the Goddess and taking a vow of chastity and obedience seems a small price to pay. But days before Aura is due to be initiated as a Priestess, she meets Aiden, the rebellious son of a cult insider, whose radical ideas and unsettling charm force Aura to question everything – and everyone – she knows.

Goddess by Laura Powell

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


Goddess(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Bloomsbury Publishing Plc (UK & ANZ) and Netgalley.)
Aura is a handmaiden in the cult of Artemis, and her only goal is to become a priestess. When the political climate is in uproar though, Aura begins having ‘oracles’, during which she speaks prophecies. The high priestess changes these prophecies to her own benefit though, and tells Aura to keep quiet.
Can Aura do what she is told? Or will she stick by her oracles instead?


This was an okay story, but it was a little confusing at times.

Aura was an interesting character, and I liked the way she refused to be swayed from what she knew was right. She was also incredibly brave to stand up to her superiors the way she did.

The storyline in this was quite interesting at points, but I also found myself bored at points too. The twists that were thrown into the story were good, and built tension, but I did feel like there was a bit of a lack of world-building, and I don’t know whether it was just the writing style, but I did find that my attention kept waning.
There wasn’t really any romance in this one, but there was plenty of scandal!
The ending was okay, and I liked that we got both a happy ending, and that things were tied up nicely. I did like this book in places, but it also irritated me the way it couldn’t hold my interest at points.
Overall; lots of ups and downs with this book,
6 out of 10.


No comments:

Post a Comment