Tuesday, 22 April 2014

Don't Call Me Baby by Gwendolyn Heasley

Sponsored post: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to HarperCollins and Edelweiss.
Don't Call Me Baby
Blurb (from Goodreads):
All her life, Imogene has been known as the girl on THAT blog.

Imogene's mother has been writing an incredibly embarrassing, and incredibly popular, blog about her since before she was born. Hundreds of thousands of perfect strangers knew when Imogene had her first period. Imogene's crush saw her "before and after" orthodontia photos. But Imogene is fifteen now, and her mother is still blogging about her, in gruesome detail, against her will.

When a mandatory school project compels Imogene to start her own blog, Imogene is reluctant to expose even more of her life online...until she realizes that the project is the opportunity she's been waiting for to tell the truth about her life under the virtual microscope and to define herself for the first time.

Don't Call Me Baby is a sharply observed and irrepressibly charming story about mothers and daughters, best friends and first crushes, and the surface-level identities we show the world online and the truth you can see only in real life.


Don't Call Me Baby by Gwendolyn Heasley

My rating: 3.25 of 5 stars


Don't Call Me Baby(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to HarperCollins and Edelweiss.)
15-year-old Imogen and her best friend Sage both hate that their mothers post everything about their lives on their blogs, so when they’re asked to start their own blogs for a class project, they decide to get their own back, by posting things about their mothers that their mothers wouldn’t like.
Can Imogen and Sage ever stop their mothers from blogging about them? And will their blogging plan work?


This was an okay story about acceptance and compromise.

Imogen was an okay character, but at times she did come across as maybe a bit petty. I got her need for privacy, but I didn’t think she really considered that she would come off looking like the evil one, not her mom. I also thought that she didn’t give enough thought to the fact that her mother used her blog as a business, and at times it was the money and sponsorship from the blog that was putting food on the table.

The storyline in this was okay, but again, Imogen did come across as a little petty at times. I totally got why her mother annoyed her, she annoyed me as well, but I really did think that working things out with her mom was a better option than making petty comments on her blog. I get that she was trying to give her mother a taste of her own medicine – fair enough if you ask me, but she didn’t consider that she was actually trying to destroy her mother’s online reputation, which her mother relied on to make money!
There was a smidgen of romance in this one, but not much, you couldn’t really describe this as a romance story.
The ending was okay, and I liked the way things worked out, I do wish that Imogen and her mother had made it there in a slightly different fashion though.
Overall; okay story about mothers, daughters, and blogging.
6.5 out of 10


2 comments:

  1. This one felt young to me for YA -- I kept feeling like I was reading a middle grade book -- and I think that made me less enthusiastic. It did have its good parts, though. I loved Imogen's grandmother!
    Thanks so much for stopping by! Jen @ YA Romantics

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm, not something that is calling to me.

    ReplyDelete