Sunday, 27 April 2014

Camp Boyfriend (Camp Boyfriend #1) by J.K. Rock

Sponsored post: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Spencer Hill Press and Netgalley.
Camp Boyfriend (Camp Boyfriend, #1)
Blurb (from Goodreads):
The summer of her dreams is about to get a reality check.

They said it couldn't be done, but geeky sophomore Lauren Carlson transformed herself into a popular girl after moving to a new school halfway across the country. Amazing what losing her braces and going out for cheerleading will do. Only trouble is, the popular crowd is wearing on Lauren's nerves and she can't wait to return to summer camp where she's valued for her brain instead of her handsprings. She misses her old friends and most of all, her long time camp-only boyfriend, Seth. This year she intends to upgrade their relationship to year-round status once she's broken up with her new, jock boyfriend, Matt. He doesn't even begin to know the real her, a girl fascinated by the night sky who dreams of discovering new planets and galaxies.

But Matt isn't giving her up without a fight. As he makes his case to stay together, Lauren begins to realize his feelings run deeper than she ever would have guessed. What if the guy she thought she was meant to be with forever isn't really The One? Returning to Camp Juniper Point was supposed to ground her uprooted life, but she's more adrift than ever. Everything feels different and soon Lauren's friends are turning on her and both guys question what she really wants. As summer tensions escalate, Lauren wonders if she's changed more than she thought. Will her first big discovery be herself?


Camp Boyfriend by J.K. Rock

My rating: 3.38 of 5 stars


Camp Boyfriend (Camp Boyfriend, #1)(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Spencer Hill Press and Netgalley.)
17-year-old Lauren is about to go off to camp for the summer, for the last time, but first she needs to break up with her boyfriend Matt, because her camp-boyfriend Seth will be waiting for her with her first camp kiss when she gets there.
Things don’t go to plan though, and soon Lauren finds herself in a very difficult situation.
Who does Lauren love most though? And should her camp boyfriend be her forever boyfriend?


This was an okay story, but I didn’t really like the ending.

Lauren was an okay character, and I understood why it was so difficult for her to break up with Matt after the bombshell he dropped, but when he asked her point blank if she loved Seth, I really wanted her to have the guts to tell him the truth.

The storyline was okay, although I have to say for the record that the phrase ‘camp boyfriend’ could be taken two ways, and I was glad that it didn’t mean that Seth was ‘camp’! I understood why Lauren intended to break up with Matt, and I also understood why she wasn’t able to, but it didn’t stop me from wishing that she would.
This book was obviously all about the romance/love triangle, and for me Lauren should really have been choosing Seth. I wasn’t the biggest fan of Matt, and I wasn’t impressed when things finally came out, and Matt then told her that he would fight for her! I wanted him to just bow out, but he just didn’t seem to get the hint!
The ending of this also wasn’t really for me, and I didn’t like the way things turned out. I just hope that things change in the second book of the series now.
Overall; okay YA contemporary romance, but I didn’t like the ending,
6.75 out of 10.


1 comment:

  1. I felt pretty much the same way you did about this book. I didn't really like the focus on the love triangle, mostly because I don't generally like them anyway. But Lauren really annoyed me too, as a character.
    And don't worry, I really enjoyed the second book! No hint of a love triangle there ;)
    Great review!

    ReplyDelete