Saturday, 1 March 2014

The Summer I Found You by Jolene Perry

Sponsored post: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Albert Whitman & Company and Netgalley.
The Summer I Found You
Blurb (from Goodreads):
All they have in common is that they're less than perfect. And all they're looking for is the perfect distraction.

Kate's dream boyfriend has just broken up with her and she's still reeling from her diagnosis of type 1 diabetes. Aidan planned on being a lifer in the army and went to Afghanistan straight out of high school. Now he's a disabled young veteran struggling to embrace his new life. When Kate and Aidan find each other neither one wants to get attached. But could they be right for each other after all?


The Summer I Found You by Jolene Perry

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


The Summer I Found You(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Albert Whitman & Company and Netgalley.)
17-year-old Kate is not impressed when her boyfriend breaks up with her. Okay she wasn’t expecting them to get married, but he could have waited ‘til after prom!
19-year-old Aidan had his arm blown off whilst in the army, and is now living with his auntie and uncle until he can manage on his own.
Aidan’s cousin sets him up with Kate, but he’s not ready for a relationship yet. Is he?
Are Kate and Aidan just what each other needs? And can both come to terms with their health issues?


This was a really sweet contemporary romance, with a couple of heart-poundingly good steamy moments!

I liked Kate, although I thought she was pretty irresponsible with regards to her diabetes. She just didn’t seem to take into consideration how dangerous it was letting her blood sugar go really high or really low, and made some really stupid decisions, like writing the wrong numbers down in her log of her blood sugars. I also thought she was really irresponsible to not tell people that she had diabetes, as it made it really difficult for people to help her when she couldn’t help herself.
I liked Aidan and thought that he actually coped quite well with the loss of his arm. I was really happy for him that he found Kate though, as it seemed like he really needed someone like her in his life to support him emotionally.

The storyline in this was pretty good. I liked how both Kate and Aidan had their problems, but coped with them in quite different ways, and I liked how they both struggled to know what to do with their lives.
This book was full of romance though, and Aidan and Kate were so sweet together! We got a massively steamy scene in there that was just heart-poundingly good, and I really couldn’t get enough of this pair! This book kept me up so late, because I really couldn’t wait to find out what happened next!
The ending to this was good, and I liked where it left us. I really loved Kate and Aidan though so it was sad to see the end of this book.
Overall; really good NA contemporary romance.
8 out of 10.


1 comment:

  1. You know how much I love contemp romances so thanks for introducing me.

    ReplyDelete