Friday, 21 March 2014

The Rules (Project Paper Doll #1) by Stacey Kade

The Rules (Project Paper Doll, #1)
Blurb (From Goodreads):
Ariane Tucker has the name--and life--of a dead girl. The original Ariane was fully human; this one's not. There are Rules that come along with her being Ariane. They're simple, but essential for her safety and her father's: Never trust anyone. Remember they are always searching. Don't get involved. Keep your head down. Don't fall in love. She has followed these Rules faithfully for ten years.The trouble, though, with rules is that you're always tempted to break one: for the right reasons, due to unavoidable circumstances, because it feels as if there's no other choice. Enter Zane Bradshaw.

Project Paper Doll: The Rules by Stacey Kade

My rating: 3.5 of 5 stars


Project Paper Doll: The Rules(Source: I own a copy of this book.)
17-year-old Ariane is not 100% human. Instead she’s a hybrid – part human, part alien, and she’s constantly hiding from the lab that she escaped from.
Ariane lives by a set of rules that stop her from being discovered and taken back to the lab, but one girl pushes all her buttons – in totally the wrong way, and Ariane can’t help but lose control around Rachel and unleash her alien powers.
Is a plan to get revenge on Rachel really a good idea? And is pretending to be interested in someone bound to lead to the real thing?


This was an interesting sci-fi story, although I did think the pace let it down.

I liked Ariane, and I thought she did pretty well with all the rubbish that life had thrown at her. I thought she did well to stick to ‘the rules’ the way she did, but it also felt like her life was really stunted because of the restrictions imposed on it. Not being able to fall in love when you find someone to fall in love with must be difficult!
I did think that Ariane needed to be nicer to her friends though, she didn’t have many, and she really wasn’t very supportive when they needed her.

I liked the storyline in this book, but boy was it slow! I kept reading, and reading, and reading, and so little happened, and I seemed to have made so little headway! I really wanted the story to move on instead of focusing on the same old conversations and worries. This book felt about twice as long as it actually was, and the pace moved so slowly it made the story really drag, which was a real shame.

There was some romance in this, and I actually enjoyed it. I liked the relationship between Ariane and Zane, and their first kiss was seriously hot!

The ending to this was alright, and there were a couple of surprises. Again the pace was way off though, and even though I enjoyed the book, the pace really put a dampener on things.
Overall; a good story, but the pace was too slow.
7 out of 10.


2 comments:

  1. I'm about to read the second book in this series and I'm excited. I liked the relationship between them too,
    Jen @ YA Romantics

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, this one seems like it's worth the read.

    ReplyDelete