Friday, 28 March 2014

The Hunter (The Forbidden Game #1) by L.J. Smith


The Hunter (The Forbidden Game, #1)
Blurb (from Goodreads):
He sold her the game, and Jenny Thornton walked out mesmerized by Julian, the gorgeous cyber-punk with electric blue eyes and frost-white hair. When she and her friends open the plain white box at her boyfriend Tom’s birthday party, she chills to the warning: “Entering the Shadow World can be deadly. Do so at your own risk.” Spellbound, they piece together the rooms with their darkest nightmares. Suddenly the game is real! They’re in the house of horrors, running from The Shadow Man – Julian himself, who forces them to confront their worst nightmares or be lost in a private hell. It’s Julian’s game, and Jenny is the prize he’s stalked for years. He’ll do anything to win her as she bargains desperately for her body – and soul . . .

The Hunter by L.J. Smith

My rating: 4.25 of 5 stars


The Hunter by L.J. Smith(Source: I own a copy of this book.)
16-year-old Jenny is just looking for a party game when she comes across a strange store, and a gorgeous boy who wants to sell her exactly what she wants.
What is the game that Julian sells her? And will Jenny and her friends make it to the end alive?


I haven’t read this book for years, but thankfully it was as good as I remembered.

I liked Jenny although she did irritate me a bit at times. As fearless as she was in some respects, she was a bit of a pushover when it came to her boyfriend and her friends, and seemed to want to do anything to please them.

The storyline in this was pretty good, a bit of a Jumanji meets Labyrinth kind of thing, and I liked that the nightmares that each player faced were actually pretty creepy.
My favourite part of this book was definitely Julian though. I don’t care that he is supposed to be the bad guy; he’s just so charismatic and charming that I would have stayed with him in a heartbeat. What was Jenny thinking – she should totally choose Julian!
The ending was a bit of a cliff-hanger and to be honest I can’t really remember what happens in the second book, but I do remember that we get more romantic scenes with Julian! Yay!
Overall; a good paranormal adventure story, with a little bit of romance,
8.5 out of 10.


1 comment: