Wednesday, 19 March 2014

Side Effects May Vary by Julie Murphy

Sponsored post: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to HarperCollins and Edelweiss.
Side Effects May Vary
Blurb (from Goodreads):
What if you’d been living your life as if you were dying—only to find out that you had your whole future ahead of you?

When sixteen-year-old Alice is diagnosed with leukemia, her prognosis is grim. To maximize the time she does have, she vows to spend her final months righting wrongs—however she sees fit. She convinces her friend Harvey, whom she knows has always had feelings for her, to help her with a crazy bucket list that’s as much about revenge (humiliating her ex-boyfriend and getting back at her arch nemesis) as it is about hope (doing something unexpectedly kind for a stranger and reliving some childhood memories). But just when Alice’s scores are settled, she goes into remission.

Now Alice is forced to face the consequences of all that she’s said and done, as well as her true feelings for Harvey. But has she done irreparable damage to the people around her, and to the one person who matters most?

Julie Murphy’s SIDE EFFECTS MAY VARY is a fearless and moving tour de force about love, life, and facing your own mortality.

Harvey laughed to himself in a sad way and rubbed his eyes. “You want me to help you with a list of things you won’t disclose to me.” He leaned forward and bit the skin around his thumb. “Classic.”
“You won’t regret it.”
“But—”
“Harvey,” I said, my voice low. “Trust me.”
I knew what this looked like. It looked like I was using Harvey. But here was the reality of the situation: the minute my life went from semi-permanent to most likely temporary, I decided to latch on to everything in my world that had always been permanent, and for me, Harvey was so permanent he was concrete.



Side Effects May Vary by Julie Murphy

My rating: 3.38 of 5 stars


Side Effects May Vary(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to HarperCollins and Edelweiss.)
Alice has been living life without worrying about consequences, because she knows that her leukaemia will soon kill her. Then she goes into remission.
What will Alice do now? And how many people has she used and alienated while she thought it didn’t matter?


This started off good, but I lost interest half way through, and the ending was a bit of a let-down.

Alice was an okay character, and I liked how she wanted to live her life without restraints because she had an expiry date. I didn’t like the way that she treated Harvey though, all she did was mess with his feelings, without admitting any of her own, which I thought was really bad. She never seemed to consider how he would feel when she died, or how he’d feel when she went into remission, she just thought about how she felt.

The storyline in this was okay, but I lost interest half-way through. I thought that some of Alice’s little revenge tactics were interesting, but I hated all the dilly-dallying around, and wanted the story to move on a bit quicker.
The romance in this was a bit odd. It seemed obvious that Harvey loved Alice, and Alice seemed to love Harvey in return, but then didn’t want to admit it for all sorts of reasons. The way she used him time and time again, never told him her real feelings, and then ignored him was just awful, and I really didn’t like that about her. I wanted her to just man up, and admit her feelings, especially considering the number of times he told her he loved her, but she just carried on being horrible to him.
The ending of this was disappointing for me. It just didn’t feel like an end, and even though Alice did eventually do something nice for someone, based on her previous actions, I could just see her turning around and being nasty again in the next breath, and things just weren’t solid enough for me to finish this thinking that anything had changed.
Overall; okay story, but the ending was disappointing.
6.75 out of 10.


2 comments:

  1. Every review I've read has said that she was mean to poor Harvey. I'm intrigued by this one, though, and I will try to get to it soon!
    Jen @ YA Romantics

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I have been hear this one is just okay.

    ReplyDelete