Tuesday, 4 March 2014

Panic by Lauren Oliver

Sponsored post: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to HarperCollins and Edelweiss.
Panic
Blurb (from Goodreads):
Panic began as so many things do in Carp, a dead-end town of 12,000 people in the middle of nowhere: because it was summer, and there was nothing else to do.

Heather never thought she would compete in Panic, a legendary game played by graduating seniors, where the stakes are high and the payoff is even higher. She’d never thought of herself as fearless, the kind of person who would fight to stand out. But when she finds something, and someone, to fight for, she will discover that she is braver than she ever thought.

Dodge has never been afraid of Panic. His secret will fuel him, and get him all the way through the game, he’s sure of it. But what he doesn't know is that he’s not the only one with a secret. Everyone has something to play for.

For Heather and Dodge, the game will bring new alliances, unexpected revelations, and the possibility of first love for each of them—and the knowledge that sometimes the very things we fear are those we need the most.


Panic by Lauren Oliver

My rating: 3.5 of 5 stars


Panic(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to HarperCollins and Edelweiss.)
Panic is a high-stakes game played every year by the seniors of a town called Carp. Those participating pay to do so, and this year the prize is huge - $67,000.

Heather always thought that people who played Panic were dumb, but now she’s playing, trying to win the cash so that she can take her little sister away from her mother who neglects her.
What will this year’s challenges be? Who will win? And who will die in the race to win Panic?


This was a interesting YA contemporary, although I did find it a little slow in places, and it was very different to ‘Delirium’.

Heather was an interesting character, and I liked how she was taking part in Panic for a good reason. I did like Heather, although I didn’t always 100% agree with her reasoning, and I thought some of her decisions were a little rash and even silly at times.
The other characters were all okay, although I did wonder what Nat (Heather’s best friend) was up to at times, as at points I wondered if she was playing someone else who was also part of the game, although again, I’m not sure she was really smart enough for that.

The storyline in this was okay, and a couple of the challenges were pretty dangerous. I liked how even the challenges that were straightforward carried risk, and how sometimes the real danger was the unknown.
There wasn’t really much romance in this one, which for me was actually a good thing, as I didn’t think the story needed that complication. There was a little bit of an ‘in-love-with-my-best-friend’ infatuation going on, but this wasn’t really explored in depth.
I will say though that this story was quite slow, and I only really felt the ‘Panic’ at the 95% mark which was unfortunate. I did think that one of the other challenges was a bit risky, but I didn’t really get the ‘oh, oh!’, ‘I-can’t look’ feeling until the very end.

The ending was fairly happy, and everything was wrapped up pretty well. I think this is going to be a standalone, but there was room at the end for a sequel with another group of seniors playing the game.
Overall; an interesting game of dare.
7 out of 10.


4 comments:

  1. I'll have to think about this, seems like a pretty fresh idea.

    Anna from Shout with Emaginette

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most reviewers are not loving this -- I think I will wait for her next book!
    Thanks so much for stopping by! Jen @ YA Romantics
    PS Yay about Winner's Curse. Can't wait to see what you think!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy you liked this one, but I have heard it is slow in some parts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was very unsatisfied with this book. I gave it a 3 but only b/c I love Oliver's writing. I was actually bored. I didn't connect with any of the characters. And I found the plot to be way too predictable. Glad you enjoyed it, though.

    ReplyDelete