Friday, 7 March 2014

Knight Assassin by Rima Jean

Sponsored post: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Entangled Publishing, LLC and Netgalley.
Knight Assassin
Blurb (from Goodreads):
Seventeen-year-old Zayn has special powers she cannot control—powers that others fear and covet. Powers that cause the Templar Knights to burn Zayn’s mother at the stake for witchcraft. When a mysterious stranger tempts Zayn to become the first female member of the heretical Assassins, the chance to seek her revenge lures her in. She trains to harness her supernatural strength and agility, and then enters the King of Jerusalem's court in disguise with the assignment to assassinate Guy de Molay, her mother’s condemner. But once there, she discovers Earic Goodwin, the childhood friend who still holds her heart, among the knights—and his ocean-blue eyes don’t miss a thing. Will vengeance be worth the life of the one love she has left?

Knight Assassin by Rima Jean

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


Knight Assassin(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Entangled Publishing, LLC and Netgalley.)
17-year-old Zayn has a problem – sometimes she feels an overwhelming building of energy inside her and doesn’t know how to dissipate it without people getting hurt.
When she turns down a marriage proposal by the village leader’s son, her mother is killed, and Zayn somehow finds herself being trained as an assassin.
Where does this power come from? Is Zayn the only one affected? And can she use her powers for good?


This was an okay story, but I didn’t really enjoy it all that much.

Zayn was an okay character. She obviously loved her mother, wasn’t afraid to stand up for what she wanted, and always did her best. I liked the way that she didn’t accept a pity proposal and instead took the more dangerous option, and I also liked the way she didn’t use her power to hurt people, even when they weren’t necessarily friendly.

The storyline in this was okay, although I did get a bit bored. There was some action in this which is probably what saved the book for me, and I also liked the little snippets of romance that we got. I did find my attention slipping during most of the book though.
I will say that this book did remind me of Grave Mercy, and seeing as I didn’t like that much either it probably stands to reason that I wouldn’t like this much either. If you liked Grave Mercy you will probably like this though.
Overall; okay assassin story, with a good main character.
6 out of 10.


1 comment: