Wednesday, 5 March 2014

Death Sworn (Death Sworn #1) by Leah Cypess

Sponsored post: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to HarperCollins and Edelweiss.
Death Sworn (Death Sworn, #1)
Blurb (from Goodreads):
When Ileni lost her magic, she lost everything: her place in society, her purpose in life, and the man she had expected to spend her life with. So when the Elders sent her to be magic tutor to a secret sect of assassins, she went willingly, even though the last two tutors had died under mysterious circumstances.

But beneath the assassins’ caves, Ileni will discover a new place and a new purpose… and a new and dangerous love. She will struggle to keep her lost magic a secret while teaching it to her deadly students, and to find out what happened to the two tutors who preceded her. But what she discovers will change not only her future, but the future of her people, the assassins… and possibly the entire world.



Death Sworn by Leah Cypess

My rating: 3.38 of 5 stars


Death Sworn (Death Sworn, #1)(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to HarperCollins and Edelweiss.)
Ilena is a sorceress, but she’s also losing her magic. Sent to live with assassins and train them as part of an agreement between the sorcerers and assassins, Ilena is sent because the previous two teachers have been killed, and she is seen as expendable.
Why is Ilena losing her magic? Who killed the previous two teachers? And will Ilena become the third casualty?


This was an interesting read, but I did find it a little slow in places.

Ileni was an interesting character. I could see why she was feeling a bit depressed over losing her magic, I think I’d be pretty fed up too if I had all that training and no power to make use of it! I also felt quite sorry for her due to the way her elders treated her, it can’t be nice to be told your expendable!

I liked the storyline in this book, but for some reason I found it quite hard to find the motivation to keep reading, I don’t know why, but I had to push myself to read this, which obviously is not good! I liked the idea of a cave full of assassins, and I liked the mystery over who was killing the sorcerers, the book just lacked excitement for me.
There were a few twists and turns, and I didn’t immediately guess what was going to happen. I do still have some guesses as to what IIeni will find out in the next book, but that remains to be seen. Again though I didn’t find the book all that exciting, even with the twists.

There was some romance, but it was fairly minor, and there wasn’t all that much of it. Thankfully the romance felt okay though, and there wasn’t any insta-love.
The ending was okay, but again for me lacked excitement. I’ll probably read the next one to find out what happens next, but I’m not rushing to read it.
Overall; okay story, but lacked excitement for me.
6.75 out of 10.


1 comment:

  1. I just got this in the mail so I am super excited.

    ReplyDelete