Saturday, 8 February 2014

White Space (Dark Passages #1) by Ilsa J. Bick

Sponsored post: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Egmont USA and Edelweiss.
White Space (Dark Passages, #1)
Blurb (from Goodreads):
Ilsa Bick’s WHITE SPACE, pitched as The Matrix meets Inkheart, about a seventeen-year-old girl who jumps between the lines of books and into the white space where realities are created and destroyed – but who may herself be nothing more than a character written into being from an alternative universe, to Greg Ferguson at Egmont, in a two-book deal, by Jennifer Laughran at Andrea Brown Literary Agency (NA).

White Space by Ilsa J. Bick

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


White Space (Dark Passages, #1)(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Egmont USA and Edelweisss.)
Lizzie lives in a world where things from the imagination can be pulled through the ‘Dark Passages’ (no I don’t know what that means), and into/onto the ‘White Space’ (Could be paper, but could be something else – again I’m not sure).
Lizzie’s father uses the Dark Passages when writing his books, and without Lizzie’s parents knowledge, Lizzie does too.
Emma is in a car with her friend Lily. She suffers from ‘blinks’ where she is transported to another world at times. Emma has a ‘blink’ whilst driving, and then a blizzard causes her to crash.
Emma is saved from the wreck of her van by a man named Eric, and his brother Casey, and then things really start getting weird.



So I’ve read this whole book, it’s taken me the best part of 10 hours, and I’m still not really sure what the hell was going on at all.

This book was just bizarre; all the way through I was wondering what the hell was going on, and whether I was actually supposed to know what the hell was going on. This book was just jumbled. There were parts from multiple different points of view, and they were all kind-of flung in there together, and it was so difficult to work out what was happening to who, and how that correlated with what was happening to other people.

We had this storyline about the white space and dark passages, but then we also had a story about a girl being run off the road in a blizzard, and it was very difficult to understand how these two stories went together. To top this all off, we had really bizarre things going on, and things that really belonged in a horror story – spooky things, creepy things, murder, blood, monsters etc.
This book reminded me of several books – between the lines – where characters in a book are really alive, the shining – because of the blood and monsters and stuff, and a book called burn bright – because this was kind-of trippy in places, and hard to know what was actually happening.

It’s really difficult to rate this book, because while I did enjoy it somewhat, and I made it through all 560 pages, it is still really difficult to know what the hell was going on, and what really happened, and who was even really real?! I mean, the whole thing was just so weird, and made so little sense, that I really still don’t even know what it’s about, which is just ridiculous after having read 560 pages.
The ending was then more of the same – weird, jumbled, unexplained, and I am still not sure what happened to be honest. I’m really not sure if I want to read any more books in this series, because I’m really beginning to think that this story will never be explained, which is seriously annoying.
Overall; weird, jumbled, strange, difficult to follow, and downright bizarre.
6 out of 10.


2 comments:

  1. Thanks for this honest review..... the book does sound a bit incoherent.... not really sure if i should check it out now.

    Aparajita @Le' Grande Codex

    ReplyDelete