Saturday, 1 February 2014

Uninvited (Uninvited #1) by Sophie Jordan

Sponsored post: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to HarperCollins and Edelweiss.
Uninvited (Uninvited, #1)
Blurb (from Goodreads):
The Scarlet Letter meets Minority Report in bestselling author Sophie Jordan's chilling new novel about a teenage girl who is ostracized when her genetic test proves she's destined to become a murderer.

When Davy Hamilton's tests come back positive for Homicidal Tendency Syndrome (HTS)-aka the kill gene-she loses everything. Her boyfriend ditches her, her parents are scared of her, and she can forget about her bright future at Juilliard. Davy doesn't feel any different, but genes don't lie. One day she will kill someone.

Only Sean, a fellow HTS carrier, can relate to her new life. Davy wants to trust him; maybe he's not as dangerous as he seems. Or maybe Davy is just as deadly.

The first in a two-book series, Uninvited tackles intriguing questions about free will, identity, and human nature. Steeped in New York Times bestselling author Sophie Jordan's trademark mix of gripping action and breathless romance, this suspenseful tale is perfect for fans of James Patterson, Michelle Hodkin, and Lisa McMann.


Uninvited by Sophie Jordan

My rating: 3.38 of 5 stars


Uninvited (Uninvited, #1)(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to HarperCollins and Edelweiss.)
17-year-old Davina (Davy) is shocked when she is told that she is a carrier for a gene known as HTS, a gene that has been shown to be linked to ‘Homicidal Tendency Syndrome’.
Carriers of HTS are segregated, and suddenly Davy’s life is not her own. She’s not allowed to go to her regular school – she’s been ‘uninvited’, and she loses her place at Julliard, and her friends and boyfriend.
Does having the HTS gene really make her a killer though? And will her life ever be the same again?


This was an interesting story, but the pace felt a little slow in places.

Davy was an okay character, although I didn’t like that she basically had a boy’s name. What is wrong with Davina? And why shorten it to Davy?
When Davy found out that she was a carrier I felt really sorry for her, and as the book went on, more things happened that weren’t exactly nice, although at times I felt like she made things worse for herself. Generally Davina was a bit of a pushover, and didn’t really stick up for herself all that much, which considering she was a singer, and popular, was a little odd.

The storyline in this was quite interesting, and I thought the idea of having a gene that related to homicidal tendencies was believable, and the way it was handled was also quite believable. What I struggled with was the fact that Davina seemed nothing like the other carriers, and Sean (the love interest) also seemed like a generally good guy considering that he also carried the gene.
There was a bit of romance in this one, but not a lot. I really disliked Davy’s boyfriend at the start of the book (Zac), and I thought he was basically a bit of an ass. I liked Sean, and I liked Davy and Sean together, and I thought that the relationship was Sean was much better for her than her relationship with Zac, and was happy with the way this relationship progressed.

I did find that this story seemed to drag a bit in places. It just didn’t seem exciting enough, and while I wanted to know what happened, I also felt like I was getting bored with what was going on at points. Maybe it was just the way that Davy just laid back and took whatever was thrown at her, or maybe it was just the slow pace, but I did get frustrated with this book at points.
The ending to this was okay, although to me it didn’t feel much like an ending. The book just sort of stopped at what felt like half-way through, and left us with a bit of a cliff-hanger, and I didn’t feel like much was resolved at all.
Overall; interesting story, but a bit slow in places.
6.75 out of 10.


2 comments:

  1. Nice review! This one is on my TBR list! The cover looks good and the plot seems interesting. I'd still might give it a try :)

    -Algel @ http://tea-rrificreads.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am still excited for this book.

    ReplyDelete