Friday, 28 February 2014

The Unquiet by Jeannine Garsee


The Unquiet
Blurb (from Goodreads):
Sixteen-year-old Rinn Jacobs has secrets: One, she’s bipolar. Two, she killed her grandmother.

After a suicide attempt, and now her parents' separation, Rinn and her mom move from California to the rural Ohio town where her mother grew up. Back on her medications and hoping to stay well, Rinn settles into her new home, undaunted by the fact that the previous owner hanged herself in Rinn's bedroom. At school, her classmates believe the school pool is haunted by Annaliese, a girl who drowned there. But when a reckless séance goes awry, and terrible things start happening to her new friends—yet not to her—Rinn is determined to find out why she can’t be "touched" by Annaliese...or if Annaliese even exists.

With the help of Nate Brenner, the hunky “farmer boy” she’s rapidly falling for, Rinn devises a dangerous plan to uncover the truth. Soon reality and fantasy meld into one, till Rinn finds it nearly impossible to tell the difference. When a malevolent force threatens the lives of everyone she cares about--not to mention her own--she can't help wondering: who should she really be afraid of?

Annaliese? Or herself?


The Unquiet by Jeannine Garsee

My rating: 3.75 of 5 stars


The Unquiet(Source: I own a copy of this book.)
17-year-old Rinn is moving with her mother back to the small town where her mother grew up, but she’s taking secrets with her.
Not only is Rinn bipolar, but she also suffers from delusions, and accidentally killed her grandmother because of it. Rinn isn’t the only one in town with secrets though.
What secrets is the town hiding? And is there any truth to the story that the school pool is haunted?


I really enjoyed this, and although some things were obvious, there were other little twists that I wasn’t able to guess.

Rinn was an okay character, although I have to admit that she was a bit stupid at times. Chasing a ghost? A murderous ghost? When you have absolutely no idea what you’re doing? Not a good idea, especially when you’re messing with your anti-psychotic medication. I understood her confusion over what was real and what was a delusion, but that didn’t change the fact that some of her decisions were seriously suspect.

I liked the storyline in this, although at times I did feel like the pacing was a bit too slow. I really liked the creepy moments and the mystery though, and I liked the way nobody but Rinn seemed to realise what was going on. I also thought that the incorporation of Rinn’s delusions was clever as it made the reader wonder what was really real.
There was a little bit of romance, but nothing much, but what I did really like was the humour. I really liked the comments that people came out with, even when they were a bit too close to the bone.
"Are you nuts?", "Don't ask me that."
"Now what do I do?", "Blow your brains out? Oh wait, you don't have any."

I liked the ending, and I liked that everything was solved, but we were still left with the little chilling idea that maybe things weren’t quite as over as they seemed.
Overall; a good YA ghost story.
7.5 out of 10.


2 comments:

  1. So happy this was good. I have had it one my TRB forever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There were definitely things I liked about this book, and others not so much. (I'd have to go back and read my review.) I love ghost stories, though!!
    Jen @ YA Romantics

    ReplyDelete