Tuesday, 11 February 2014

The Lure by Lynne Ewing

Sponsored post: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to HarperCollins and Edelweiss.
The Lure
Blurb (from Goodreads):
From the bestselling author of the Daughters of the Moon series comes a gritty, sexy novel about a teen who is forced to become a "lure"-a beautiful girl who is used to lure victims of gang violence.

Fifteen-year-old Blaise Montgomery lives in the gritty outskirts of Washington, DC, where a stray bullet can steal a life on the way to school. Drugs and violence are the only ways to survive, so Blaise and her friends turn to gangs for safety, money, and love. When Blaise is invited to join Core 9, one of the most infamous crews, she jumps at the chance. Though her best guy friends, Rico and Satch, warn her about the danger, she agrees to be beaten for a minute straight as part of the gang's initiation ritual.

Now Blaise is finally part of a crew. A family.

But things get only more dangerous when she becomes a member of Core 9 and tensions with a rival gang heat up. Trek, the head of Core 9, asks Blaise to be his "lure," the sexy bait he'll use to track down enemy gang members and exact revenge. Rico and Satch tell her it's a death sentence, but Blaise can't resist the money and unparalleled power. As Trek puts Blaise in increasingly dangerous situations, she begins to see that there's more to lose than she ever realized-including Satch, the one person who has the power to get under her skin. With death lurking around every corner, should Blaise continue to follow the only path she's ever known, or cut and run?


The Lure by Lynne Ewing

My rating: 2.25 of 5 stars


The Lure(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to HarperCollins and Edelweiss.)
15-year-old Blaise lives in a bad neighbourhood, where gangs roam the streets, there are battles waged over drugs and territories, and even innocent bystanders get shot if they happen to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Blaise lives with her grandmother who works herself to death every night trying to keep a roof over their heads. Blaise thinks that things would be easier if she joined a gang, and she’s set on joining C9.
Will life really be better as a gang member though? Will she survive the beating to get into the gang? And is being a ‘lure’ all she’s really worth?


This book started off strong, but I began to lose interest at the 30% mark, and by the 50% mark I felt like I was forcing myself to keep reading.

Blaise was an okay character, but I couldn’t help but think that she was stupid to join a gang. Admittedly she didn’t have a lot of money or options, but she was all her grandmother had, and although they didn’t have much, I didn’t think that joining a gang was her best option. Personally I thought she should be getting a part-time job or something, rather than getting involved in gangs and guns.
The other characters in this book were all just as stupid as Blaise as well unfortunately. We had her stupid friend who was dating someone from an opposing gang, which was going to get her killed, there was the kid who was selling drugs on someone else’s turf, who was going to get himself killed, and then there was the girl who thought that being gang raped by half the male members of the gang was a good initiation option.
Why did any of these kids feel the need to join a gang? Why not stay away from the whole business and try and keep your nose clean? Why not try to earn an honest living?

The storyline in this was okay, although the actually ‘becoming a lure’ part didn’t happen until around the 40% mark.
The writing in this was okay, and I did appreciate the little details that the author included that made this book feel authentic – like the fact that Blaise had removed the light bulb from her fridge so that ‘no shooter could catch (her) silhouette’.

I liked the action and detail at the start of the book, but by the 30% mark I had begun to feel bored, and by the 50% mark I felt like I was forcing myself to keep reading. By the 60% mark I didn’t really want to keep reading at all, and even after taking a break it was really hard to find the motivation to go on. I don’t know why as such, just that I was bored, and the story didn’t hold my interest. Maybe this was because I got sick of the constant stupidity of the characters who just seemed to get themselves into bigger and bigger messes, or maybe I just got sick of the constant threats on people’s lives over nothing.

The ending was also a bit of a let-down, as so much was left unanswered. I felt like the book just stopped, and nothing had really been resolved. I couldn’t quite believe that the book stopped where it stopped, but I have to say that I was glad that it was over as I was losing the will to live.
I don’t know if this will remain a standalone novel, or whether this will be a series, but if it is a series I won’t be continuing with it. I’ve had enough.
4.5 out of 10.


1 comment: