Saturday, 22 February 2014

The Darkest Joy (The Darkest Joy #1) by Marata Eros

Sponsored post: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Simon and Schuster and Edelweiss.
The Darkest Joy
Blurb (from Edelweiss):
A sexy and poignant new adult novel in the vein of Jamie McGuire’s Beautiful Disaster from New York Times bestseller Marata Eros, about two lost souls who find each other in the wake of tragedy—only to learn that love may not be enough to heal the wounds of a dark and tortured past… Twenty year-old Brooke Starr has escaped the aftermath of a brutal tragedy by abandoning her music studies and moving north to take a summer position as a part-time deck hand on a fishing boat. When her survivor’s guilt becomes unbearable, Brooke realizes there’s only one thing she can do to finally erase the pain.

Deep-sea fisherman, Chance Taylor, has just wrapped his guitar set at the local saloon when he sees the silhouette of a young woman, the full moon highlighting her shadow as she plummets from a pier too high for diving...into water too cold to survive. Without thinking, he plunges in after her, saving Brooke from drowning.

As Chance works to save her from her own emotional fragility, Brooke finally begins to learn how to save herself. But when their chemistry begins to consume them, Brooke withdraws. She’s determined to be the master of her own destiny...until the past catches up with her in a cataclysmic plan so dark, so final—it threatens their love—and their lives.


The Darkest Joy by Marata Eros

My rating: 3.5 of 5 stars


The Darkest Joy(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Simon and Schuster and Edelweiss.)
Brooke is heading home for the holidays when her entire family is brutally murdered.
Needing to get away, Brooke heads to her dead aunts house in Alaska, intending to get a job, and get away from her old life.
In Alaska Brooke meets Chase, and they are instantly attracted to each other.
Who killed Brooke’s family? And are they finished murdering people or not?


This was an okay story with some steamy love scenes.

Brooke was an okay character, although surprisingly I didn’t really feel all that sorry for her. I did wonder if she was running away from her feelings a bit when she moved to Alaska, but I could also see why she might want a break.

The storyline in this was okay, but I thought the ‘romantic’ moments were much better than the rest of the storyline. While this may sound awful I wanted more details about the murder of Brooke’s family. I felt like we were only given a really small amount of information where that was concerned, and it bugged me that we weren’t told more. I really wanted to know exactly what had happened, but it seems we will never find out.
The romance in this was good, and while I didn’t really get the instant attraction Brooke and Chance felt, I liked the flirting and the way this pair were together. We did get some ‘love’ scenes, and they were pretty steamy, and the best part of the book for me.
The ending was okay, and I didn’t manage to guess who the killer was. Most things were wrapped up nicely, so I’m not sure if the next book will be about these same characters or not. I will probably read the next book, but it will be for the romance rather than the mystery.
Overall; an okay story, with a steamy romance.
7 out of 10.


1 comment:

  1. I always wanted to read this one. Love the sound of it.

    ReplyDelete