Monday, 3 February 2014

Red Rising (Red Rising Trilogy #1) by Pierce Brown

Sponsored post: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Hodder & Stoughton and Netgalley.
Red Rising (Red Rising Trilogy, #1)
Blurb (from Goodreads):
Darrow is a miner and a Red, a member of the lowest caste in the color-coded society of the future. Like his fellow Reds, he digs all day, believing that he and his people are making the surface of the planet livable for future generations. Darrow has never seen the sky.

Yet he spends his life willingly, knowing that his blood and sweat will one day result in a better future for his children.

But Darrow and his kind have been betrayed. Soon he discovers that humanity already reached the surface generations ago. Vast cities and sprawling parks spread across the planet. Darrow and Reds like him are nothing more than slaves to a decadent ruling class.

Inspired by a longing for justice, and driven by the memory of lost love, Darrow joins a resistance group in order to infiltrate the ruling class and destroy society from within. He will stop at nothing to bring down his enemies... even if it means he has to become one of them to do so.


Red Rising by Pierce Brown

My rating: 2 of 5 stars


Red Rising (Red Rising Trilogy, #1)(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Hodder & Stoughton and Netgalley.)
16-year-old Darrow works as a miner in the depths of Mars, desperately trying to mine enough materials to win extra food for his family.
When his wife discovers a hidden garden, they go there secretly, only to be caught, and subjected to extremely harsh punishment.
What Darrow doesn’t know though is that Mars is already colonised, and he is little more than a slave.
Can Darrow rise above his position? And what will happen to him and his wife?


This book started out okay, but then changed so much, and totally lost me.

Darrow was an interesting character. I loved how hard he worked, and how hard he strived to try and provide food for his wife Eo. The love that these two shared was really something beautiful, and I really felt for him when he felt powerless to protect her. To be perfectly honest it was the scenes between Darrow and his wife, and what happened to the pair of them that was the best part of the book for me.

The storyline in this started out as one thing, but then changed and lost me. I understood the first part about Darrow living and working in the mines, his struggles to feed his wife, and his desire to be better. I also understood the bit where he came out of the mines and realised that he had been lied to, and that Mars had already been colonised. I even understood what was going on when the people who had saved him from the mines tried to change him into someone from a different caste so that he could gain power, but after that I was just lost. I know there was teaching/training of some kind, and there was a hell of a lot of death and destruction and war, but I just hadn’t got a clue how it related to the first part of the story, or just what was going on at all really, and I soon lost the motivation to keep reading, and had to force myself to finish the book.

This book was also full of stuff that I didn’t like. I was still on page 3 and had already been disgusted about 4 times. First we were told that –
"On Mars there is not much gravity. So you have to pull the feet to break the neck. They let the loved ones do it."
Not nice.
Then we got a detailed description of the work suit they had to wear to work in, and how they p*ssed inside it so it stank. Again, not nice.
And the rest of the book continued like this. I read insults that I had seriously never heard of before – ‘Pr*cklicker’ and read other insults that weren’t particularly witty either - "I have your captain! I p*ss on you Mars!" and "You sound like a girl. Did something happen to your balls?"

To be perfectly honest I think that this maybe just wasn’t the book for me, and I really, really do not want to read the sequel to this. I’ve had enough.
Overall; like two halves of two different books, and really not for me.
4 out of 10.


1 comment:

  1. I hate feeling lost in a book. Sucks this one didn't work out.

    ReplyDelete