Friday, 14 February 2014

Queen of Hearts by Colleen Oakes

Sponsored post: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to BookSparks and Netgalley.

Queen of HeartsBlurb (from Goodreads):
Not every fairytale has a happy ending.
This is the story of a princess who became a villain.
***
A Father’s Betrayal. A Kingdom with a Black Secret. A Princess Slowly Unraveling.

As Princess of Wonderland Palace and the future Queen of Hearts, Dinah’s days are an endless monotony of tea, tarts, and a stream of vicious humiliations at the hands of her father, the King of Hearts. The only highlight of her days is visiting Wardley, her childhood best friend, the future Knave of Hearts — and the love of her life.

When an enchanting stranger arrives at the Palace, Dinah watches as everything she’s ever wanted threatens to crumble. As her coronation date approaches, a series of suspicious and bloody events suggests that something sinister stirs in the whimsical halls of Wonderland. It’s up to Dinah to unravel the mysteries that lurk both inside and under the Palace before she loses her own head to a clever and faceless foe.

Part epic fantasy, part twisted fairy tale, this dazzling saga will have readers shivering as Dinahs furious nature sweeps Wonderland up in the maelstrom of her wrath.

Familiar characters such as Cheshire, the White Rabbit, and the Mad Hatter make their appearance, enchanting readers with this new, dark take on Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland.


Queen of Hearts by Colleen Oakes

My rating: 3.5 of 5 stars


Queen of Hearts(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to BookSparks and Netgalley.)
15-year-old Dinah is heir to the Wonderland throne, and will soon rise to rule alongside her widowed father. She is shocked however when her father introduces the kingdom to his illegitimate daughter Vittiore, and takes an instant dislike to the girl she is supposed to call sister.
Things are not as they seem in the kingdom though, and soon Dinah will realise just how desperate things are getting.
Can Dinah ever hope to rule as Wonderland’s Queen? And who is Vittiore?


This was an interesting story, and even though it wasn’t quite what I expected, I really enjoyed it.

Dinah was an interesting character. She was both flawed, and strong, and I liked the way she asserted herself and made trouble when needed.

The storyline in this was pretty good, and I liked that this wasn’t your average retelling. This was a darker story set in Wonderland, and I liked the little twists in the story, and even the pink snow!
I did think that Dinah was maybe a little slow to catch on to certain things, and I am really interested to find out if some of my predictions for this story were right. I did like the way that things from Alice in Wonderland were worked into the story – like the cake with the ‘eat me’ note.
The ending to this was pretty action packed, but I would have liked a bit more. The story ended a little prematurely for me, and I’m now waiting for the next book to be published so that I can find out what happens to Dinah next!
Overall; an interesting story set in Wonderland,
7 out of 10.


No comments:

Post a Comment