Sunday, 16 February 2014

Dead Silent (Poppy Sinclair #2) by Sharon Jones

Sponsored post: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Hachette Children's Books and Netgalley.
Dead Silent (Poppy Sinclair, #2)
Blurb (from Goodreads):
A snow angel etched in blood. An elite society. A secret dying to get out.

The second Poppy Sinclair Thriller.

When Poppy Sinclair and her boyfriend visit snowy Cambridge, she doesn't expect to discover the body of a student - arms outstretched in the act of smearing bloody angel wings on the chapel's floor.

Suddenly, Poppy is faced with the possibility that the one closest to her heart might be the one committing the most malicious of crimes.

Dodging porters and police, dreading what she might find, Poppy follows the clues left by a murderer bent on revenge...

Long-hidden secrets are chillingly revealed, an avenging angel seeks forgiveness and red-hot vengeance must be quelled in the amazing new Poppy Sinclair thriller.


Dead Silent by Sharon Jones

My rating: 3.5 of 5 stars


Dead Silent (Poppy Sinclair, #2)(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Hachette Children's Books and Netgalley.)
This is the second book in the ‘Poppy Sinclair’ series, but can be read as a standalone.
Poppy and her boyfriend Michael are touring Cambridge University, where Michael is having an admissions interview, when she stumbles across a dead body, and a big mystery surrounding the murder.
Who killed the man? And what does a secret society have to do with it?


This was an okay murder/mystery story, although I did find it a bit slow in places.

Poppy seems to have developed a bit of a habit of finding dead bodies it seems, and this book was no exception. I did hope that she might be a little more intelligent this time around, but she seemed to have problems making bad decisions, and generally putting herself in danger.

The storyline was okay, but I did find it quite slow. I wanted to know what had happened, but I wanted more action and less talking. I did like the idea of the secret society and the mystery over the murders, but again, I wish the book had been faster paced.
There was some romance, and a couple of awkward scenes between Poppy and Michael. I don’t have a problem with teens talking about sex in YA books, but I really think Poppy needs to have a better idea of what she’s doing, and whether or not she’s actually ready before getting into the position she ended up in!
The ending was good, and it was nice to get a bit of action. I was ready to find out what was going on by that point, and I didn’t guess who the killer was.
Overall; an okay YA murder/mystery,
7 out of 10.


1 comment:

  1. I saw the second book pop up on Netgalley but the first book is hard to find here in the US!
    Sorry that this one didn't quite do it for you!
    Jen @ YA Romantics

    ReplyDelete