Friday, 14 February 2014

Across the Universe (Across the Universe #1) by Beth Revis


Across the Universe (Across the Universe, #1)
Blurb (from Goodreads):
A love out of time. A spaceship built of secrets and murder.

Seventeen-year-old Amy joins her parents as frozen cargo aboard the vast spaceship Godspeed and expects to awaken on a new planet, three hundred years in the future. Never could she have known that her frozen slumber would come to an end fifty years too soon and that she would be thrust into the brave new world of a spaceship that lives by its own rules.

Amy quickly realizes that her awakening was no mere computer malfunction. Someone - one of the few thousand inhabitants of the spaceship - tried to kill her. And if Amy doesn't do something soon, her parents will be next.

Now Amy must race to unlock Godspeed's hidden secrets. But out of her list of murder suspects, there's only one who matters: Elder, the future leader of the ship and the love she could never have seen coming.


Across the Universe by Beth Revis

My rating: 3.75 of 5 stars


Across the Universe (Across the Universe, #1)(Source: I own a copy of this book.)
17-year-old Amy isn’t impressed at having to be cryogenically frozen for 300 years in order to travel to a new planet with her parents, but she goes anyway.
Unfortunately though, she’s awakened early to find that she is still 50 years away from her destination, and can’t be refrozen.
Who awoke Amy early? And what the hell is going on on this ship?!


This was an interesting read, and raised some interesting questions.

I liked Amy. I thought it took real guts to follow her parents the way she did, especially considering that she had a way out, and I really felt for her when she realised that she had been awoken early and would be older than her parents by the time they were awoken.

The storyline in this was really interesting, and I liked how many twists and turns there were. I kept guessing at what was going on, but would then find myself only partially right because another twist would get thrown in there!
I did find myself continually surprised by the things that were going on, and I really did think that some of the practices on the spaceship were awful. It’s really difficult to go into detail without dropping spoilers, but it was pretty obvious that nobody was thinking of the ethical connotations of what was going on on that spaceship!
There was some romance, but there wasn’t a lot of it, and I did find that the pace dragged a bit in places, which was a bit irritating as I really wanted to know what would happen next.
The ending to this was okay, and I’m certainly interested to see where the next book goes from here.
Overall; an interesting sci-fi story.
7.5 out of 10.


No comments:

Post a Comment