Saturday, 4 January 2014

Witch Finder (Witch Finder #1) by Ruth Warburton

Sponsored post: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Hachette Children's Books and Netgalley.
Witch Finder (Witch Finder, #1)
Blurb (from Goodreads):
London. 1880. In the slums of Spitalfields apprentice blacksmith Luke is facing initiation into the Malleus Maleficorum, the fearsome brotherhood dedicated to hunting and killing witches.

Luke’s final test is to pick a name at random from the Book of Witches, a name he must track down and kill within a month, or face death himself. Luke knows that tonight will change his life forever. But when he picks out sixteen-year-old Rosa Greenwood, Luke has no idea that his task will be harder than he could ever imagine.


Witch Finder by Ruth Warburton

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


Witch Finder (Witch Finder, #1)(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Hachette Children's Books and Netgalley.)
18-year-old Luke wants to join a witch-hunting group, but to prove himself he must first kill a witch.

16-year-old witch Rosa is shocked when her mother and brother tell her that she must marry for money following her father’s death. Little does she know that she’s also be marked for death by Luke.
Will Rosa marry for money? And will Luke kill Rosa?


This book was okay, but I have to say that I was bored during most of it.

I thought that Luke was a little trigger happy joining the witch hunting group the way he did, as he had absolutely no clue what he was getting himself involved in. This was further proved when one of the other men tried to teach him how to kill using a knife, whilst demonstrating with a pig. It’s all very well saying ‘I can kill a witch’, but the reality is very different.
Rosa was a little na├»ve and silly. I couldn’t quite believe how shocked she was that her mother and brother wanted her to marry for money, considering the fact that her father was dead, and they were broke, it seemed like an obvious thing for them to consider.

The storyline in this was pretty predictable, boy gets told to kill a witch, boy likes said witch too much, and instead of killing her falls in love with her. The rest of the storyline just didn’t have enough of anything to keep me interested, and I found myself bored for the vast majority of the book. I was also put off by the animal cruelty in this book. While Rosa managed to not die, the animals in this story didn’t fare quite so well.
The romance in this was pretty non-existent, which was surprising given the storyline, and didn’t really help the book at all.
The ending was okay, although I didn’t even find the drama interesting. I don’t think I’ll bother reading the rest of this series.
Overall; a pretty boring and predictable book about witches.
6 out of 10.


1 comment: