Wednesday, 29 January 2014

The Queen's Choice (Heirs of Chrior #1) by Cayla Kluver

Sponsored post: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Harlequin TEEN and Netgalley.
The Queen's Choice (Heirs of Chrior, #1)
Blurb (from Goodreads):
Magic was seeping out of me, black and agonizing. I could see it drifting away. The magic that would let me pass the Road to reach home again.

When sixteen-year-old Anya learns that her aunt, Queen of the Faerie Kingdom of Chrior, will soon die, her grief is equaled only by her despair for the future of the kingdom. Her young cousin, Illumina, is unfit to rule, and Anya is determined not to take up the queen's mantle herself.

Convinced that the only solution is to find Prince Zabriel, who long ago disappeared into the human realm of Warckum, and persuade him to take up his rightful crown, Anya journeys into the Warckum Territory to bring him home. But her journey is doomed to be more harrowing than she ever could have imagined….


The Queen's Choice by Cayla Kluver

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


The Queen's Choice (Heirs of Chrior, #1)(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Harlequin TEEN and Netgalley.)
Anya is a faerie, and her auntie the queen. Her cousin Illumina is unfit to be next in line for the throne, and her cousin Zabriel is missing.
When her aunt confides in her that she is dying, and that she wants her to take the throne when she dies, Anya knows that she must journey to the human world to try and find her half-fae, half human cousin Zabriel.
Where is Zabriel? And can Anya find him before her aunt dies?


This book started off strong, but I lost interest a bit in the middle. The ending was quite interesting though.

I liked Anya, and I liked her strength. I liked how she both did what she wanted, and thought of those around her, she certainly did have a bit of a weak spot when it came to her boyfriend. She did surprise me at times though, firstly when she wasn’t all that grateful for a gift she was given, and secondly when she admitted that she wouldn’t have been sad over the death of a fairly close relative. I did like her overall, but I also got tired of her.

I liked the storyline, and I really felt sorry for Anya after what happened to her. The story started to drag from the mid-point really though, and I just ended up wondering if it was ever going to end. The part of the storyline concerning Zabriel was probably the worst part of the story, as it seemed like they were never going to find him.
Thankfully the story picked up at the end, and I did end this story wanting to know what happened in the next book. More than anything though I decided that this story was a bit slow, and I wondered whether everything in this really needed to be in there. I thought that more could have been achieved in the 500+ pages than actually happened, and am now kind of aggrieved that I have to wait for the next book to find out what happens.
Overall; I liked the story, but did find it slow in places.
8 out of 10.


3 comments:

  1. oh this sounds interesting, i have e-galley too and it will be my next read..... totally y excited....

    great review
    Aparajita @Le; Grande Codex

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh! This sounds like JUST my kind of book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't mind a boring middle as much if the beginning and ending are great.

    ReplyDelete