Tuesday, 14 January 2014

The Moment Before by Suzy Vitello

Sponsored post: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Diversion Books and Netgalley.
The Moment Before
Blurb (from Goodreads):
“Don’t get me wrong. I loved my sister. I never, not once, wished her dead.”

Brady and Sabine Wilson are sisters born eleven months apart, but they couldn’t be more different. Popular Sabine, the head cheerleader dating the high school hunk, seems to have all the luck, while her younger, artsy sister "Brady Brooder" is a loner who prefers the sidelines to the limelight.

After Sabine dies in a horrific cheerleading accident, grief unravels Brady and her family. Once recognized for her artistic talent, 17-year-old Brady finds herself questioning the value of everything she once held dear. Her best friend betrays her. Her parents’ marriage is crumbling. And the boy everyone blames for the accident seems to be her only ally in the search for answers in the wake of her sister’s death. As an unlikely friendship emerges, Brady learns more about Sabine – and love – than she bargained for.


The Moment Before by Suzy Vitello

My rating: 3.5 of 5 stars


The Moment Before(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Diversion Books and Netgalley.)
17-year-old Brady and her sister Sabine were Irish twins – sisters born less than a year apart, but Sabine’s death in a cheerleading accident has left Brady stuck in a rut, and unable to move on, no matter how her family therapist tries to help her.
When Sabine’s voicemail reaches its message limit, Brady goes out of her way to access the voicemail, needing to delete messages so that she can hear her sister’s voice again, only to discover some hidden secrets contained within.
Who is really to blame for Sabine’s death? And what secrets was she hiding?


This was an interesting story about a girl coping with the death of her sister, and her discoveries about her sister along the way.

I felt really sorry for Brady in this book. She was really struggling just to get by day to day, and it seemed like no-one could help her deal with her grief, or give her the space she needed to work things through on her own. I really felt for her the way she would speak to her sister as if she was still there, and I understood why she needed to phone her sisters cell phone and listen to her recorded message to feel like she was still connecting with her.

The storyline in this was pretty good, and I liked following Brady as she discovered more about her sister and her life, and the events that had really led to her death. I really wished that things could have been more open, and that a certain person who was to blame, would have actually been blamed, but it was also easy to see the dilemma of spilling her dead sister’s secrets and possibly tarnishing her name.
There was some romance in this, but there were also issues surrounding this for Brady, and I again really wanted things to be easier for her.
I thought the pace in this one was a little slow in places, and I did feel that there could have maybe been a bit more excitement, but otherwise this was an interesting read.
The ending to this was pretty good, and I liked how things were wrapped up. I liked Sabine’s part in the ending most of all, and I liked how forgiveness was given in the end.
Overall; an interesting story about a girl coming to terms with the death of her sister.
7 out of 10.


1 comment:

  1. Sounds emotional and glad to hear it has a good message

    ReplyDelete