Wednesday, 15 January 2014

The Dream Thieves (The Raven Cycle #2) by Maggie Stiefvater


The Dream Thieves (The Raven Cycle, #2)
Blurb (from Goodreads):
Now that the ley lines around Cabeswater have been woken, nothing for Ronan, Gansey, Blue, and Adam will be the same.

Ronan, for one, is falling more and more deeply into his dreams, and his dreams are intruding more and more into waking life.

Meanwhile, some very sinister people are looking for some of the same pieces of the Cabeswater puzzle that Gansey is after...
 

The Dream Thieves by Maggie Stiefvater

My rating: 3.25 of 5 stars


The Dream Thieves (The Raven Cycle, #2)(Source: I own a copy of this book.)
This is book 2 in the ‘Raven cycle’ series.
Gansey continues to look for the Welsh kind Glendower, while Ronan struggles to learn how to use him dreams to his advantage.


This book just got weirder and weirder as it went along, and I’m not really sure what to think of it.

I wasn’t the biggest fan of ‘The Raven Boys’, but I wanted to give this book a chance, the only way I can really describe it though is strange. The characters all seemed to have odd little quirks, they said strange things, and did strange things, and at times I really did not know what they were talking about. It was like they were all tripping, and this trip was endless.

The storyline in this one revolved again around the boys search for Glendower, but also focused quite a lot on Ronan’s ability to brings things back from his dreams, as well as a hit man who was trying to find an object that could do what Ronan could do (the greywarren), not realising that he was in fact looking for Ronan.
While this storyline was okay, the way it was written and the things that happened were just strange. It’s really difficult to put into words exactly what I mean, so instead I’ll share a few quotes with you –
“His home was populated by things and creatures from Niall Lynch’s dreams, and his mother was just another one of them.”

“I wouldn’t rule it out, But I don’t really have the inside line on that knowledge.”

“I’m a fish who’s forgotten how to breathe in water.”

“The two of them were on perpendicular paths, not parallel ones, and eventually they’d have to go different ways.”

“You look like you spent your last joy bill.”, “What does that even mean?”, “I don’t know, I was just trying it out.”

“Dying’s a boring side effect.”

“Close and far is like already happened and not happened yet.”

“Are you one of those people who reuses time?”

“Multiple stones were stacked in the tri-coloured car now, but this latest one pressed into Adam’s consciousness more than the others.”

There were a couple of funny moments in this book, and I did like it more than the previous book most of the time. I wonder if this is the sort of series where you get to the end and it suddenly all makes sense, and you realise how clever it was, but if it’s not then this is just one big mess. I’m interested to know where this story was going, but I won’t pick up the next book without a certain amount of trepidation.
Overall; strange.
6.5 out of 10.


3 comments:

  1. This is definitely a strange series, though I really enjoyed The Raven Boys. Don't remember anything about it though, so I'll need a re-read before I get into this one. This one does sound pretty weird, so I'm not sure what exactly to expect. Thanks for the heads up!

    Richa @ City of Books

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, Raven Boys was not for me and I am happy I didn't continue the series.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Dream Thieves is the second story in The Raven Cycle, a fantasy about a group of intelligent, uniquely expressive teens with special talents and terrible worries. I impatiently await the third installment, and not just to find out what happens next. Maggie's Stiefvater's lyrical writing forces me to constantly highlight passages. Her work is pure reading pleasure.
    Highly recommended Alaska Brown Bear Hunts grizzly

    ReplyDelete