Thursday, 9 January 2014

Salt (Salt #1) by Danielle Ellison

Sponsored post: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Entangled Publishing and Netgalley.
Salt (Salt #1)
Blurb (from Goodreads):
Penelope is a witch, part of a secret society protecting humans from demon attacks. But when she was a child, a demon killed her parents—and stole her magic. Since then, she’s been pretending to be something she’s not, using her sister’s magic to hide her own loss, to prevent being sent away.

When she’s finally given the chance to join the elite demon-hunting force, Penelope thinks that will finally change. With her sister’s help, she can squeeze through the tests and get access to the information she needs to find "her" demon. To take back what was stolen.

Then she meets Carter. He’s cute, smart, and she can borrow his magic, too. He knows her secret—but he also has one of his own.

Suddenly, Penelope’s impossible quest becomes far more complicated. Because Carter’s not telling her everything, and it’s starting to seem like the demons have their own agenda…and they’re far too interested in her.


Salt by Danielle Ellison

My rating: 2 of 5 stars


Salt (Salt #1)(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Entangled Publishing and Netgalley.)
Penelope comes from a line of witches, and wants to be an enforcer – someone who deals with demons, but she just has one problem. Her magic is ‘cranky’ (temperamental).
Since witnessing her parents murders, Penelope is only able to use magic whilst within twenty feet and six inches of a family member, which makes becoming an enforcer difficult and dangerous, not that that is going to stop her.
Can Penelope become an enforcer? What is wrong with her magic? And who is the guy who seems to be following her about?


This book looked promising from the start, but unfortunately it bored the pants off me.

Penelope was an okay character, although I did find her a bit stupid and immature at times. Knowing that demons are everywhere, and you need salt to fight them, would you really go out without it? I mean really? I know I forget my phone occasionally so I’ll let her off, but still. You think she’d take it everywhere with her, even to the bathroom.
Anyway, Penelope basically had no magic when on her own, so what did she do? Sign up to be an enforcer. Obviously. Because being a big bad demon slayer when you have no magic and would be putting yourself in danger is a great idea. Not.

The storyline in this was fairly simple. Penelope going through training, all the time cheating to some extent because she doesn’t have her own independent magic, a healthy dose of lust for a boy witch, and a big old hidden family secret lurking in the closet. Unfortunately though I found this ridiculously dull; even the big secrets couldn’t entertain me, and this was one of the few books that I actually considered not finishing. I felt like I was wading through quicksand trying to get to the end of this, and that acknowledgements page at 97% was pure sweet relief!
I’m going to give this book the benefit of the doubt, and say that it just wasn’t for me, I’m sure other people will like this, but I just couldn’t. There wasn’t anything glaringly wrong with it, it just bored me, and I really, really do not want to read the next one.
The books this most reminded me of were Teardrop by Lauren Kate, Feudlings by Wendy Knight, and Undeadly by Michele Vail. If you liked any of those books then you will probably like this, but if you didn’t like those books I’d suggest you give this one a miss.
Overall; it just bored me.
4 out of 10.


1 comment:

  1. Oh wow, that sucks. I a, reading this one soon but now I am nervous.

    ReplyDelete