Sunday, 12 January 2014

Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell

Fangirl
Blurb (from Goodreads):
From the author of the New York Times bestseller Eleanor & Park.

A coming-of-age tale of fan fiction, family and first love.

Cath is a Simon Snow fan.

Okay, the whole world is a Simon Snow fan . . .

But for Cath, being a fan is her life — and she’s really good at it. She and her twin sister, Wren, ensconced themselves in the Simon Snow series when they were just kids; it’s what got them through their mother leaving.

Reading. Rereading. Hanging out in Simon Snow forums, writing Simon Snow fan fiction, dressing up like the characters for every movie premiere.

Cath’s sister has mostly grown away from fandom, but Cath can’t let go. She doesn’t want to.

Now that they’re going to college, Wren has told Cath she doesn’t want to be roommates. Cath is on her own, completely outside of her comfort zone. She’s got a surly roommate with a charming, always-around boyfriend, a fiction-writing professor who thinks fan fiction is the end of the civilized world, a handsome classmate who only wants to talk about words . . . And she can’t stop worrying about her dad, who’s loving and fragile and has never really been alone.

For Cath, the question is: Can she do this?

Can she make it without Wren holding her hand? Is she ready to start living her own life? Writing her own stories?

And does she even want to move on if it means leaving Simon Snow behind?



Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell

My rating: 2 of 5 stars


Fangirl(Source: I own a copy of this book.)
Cath and her identical twin are both off to university, and while Wren wants to experience college life, Cath just wants to hide away and write fan-fiction about boy-wizard Simon Snow.
How long can Cath hide away for? And what will her professors make of her fan-fiction?


I really didn’t enjoy this book, and it was hard work to make it all the way to the end.

Cath was a bit of a strange character. At times I understood where she was coming from, I too prefer my online friends to my real-life friends, but at other times she just bothered me. I understood that these characters in her head were real, and that she felt like she was compelled to write about them, but at the same time I felt like she was maybe a little too over the top about it. Okay, fair enough they’re important to you, but they’re not quite so important to everybody else.

Then there were other characters in this that I wasn’t friends with either. I thought that Cath’s sister was a bit awful refusing to share a room with her, and basically deserting her and her father. I disliked Cath’s room mate who insisted that online friends ‘don’t count’, and her father also had some very strange moments.

The storyline in this was okay, but for most of the book I just felt irritated, annoyed, or bored. I knew from the start that this book and I were not going to be life-long friends, and unfortunately this turned out to be true, and I was just glad when I got to the end of this.
I disliked some of the things that Cath would come out with, and I felt embarrassed for her at points, I disliked how much ‘Simon Snow’ was like ‘Harry Potter’, like bizarrely so, I really couldn’t stomach the huge chunks of fan-fic, and really didn’t like that element of the story at all.

The romance in this was also not for me. I’m sorry Cath, but poaching your room mates boyfriend? BAD CATH!! VERY VERY BAD!!

The ending of this wasn’t very memorable, and to be honest I was just really glad that it was over.
Overall; I’m a girl, but I’m not a fan.
4.5 out of 10.


1 comment:

  1. I appreciate your honesty. It's hard to be the one who just doesn't connect with a super-popular book. But it happens! Hope your next read is more of a hit for you :)
    Jen @ YA Romantics

    ReplyDelete