Wednesday, 8 January 2014

City of Lost Souls (The Mortal Instruments #5) by Cassandra Clare


City of Lost Souls (The Mortal Instruments, #5)
Blurb (from Goodreads):
The New York Times bestselling Mortal Instruments continues—and so do the thrills and danger for Jace, Clary, and Simon.

What price is too high to pay, even for love? When Jace and Clary meet again, Clary is horrified to discover that the demon Lilith’s magic has bound her beloved Jace together with her evil brother Sebastian, and that Jace has become a servant of evil. The Clave is out to destroy Sebastian, but there is no way to harm one boy without destroying the other. As Alec, Magnus, Simon, and Isabelle wheedle and bargain with Seelies, demons, and the merciless Iron Sisters to try to save Jace, Clary plays a dangerous game of her own. The price of losing is not just her own life, but Jace’s soul. She’s willing to do anything for Jace, but can she still trust him? Or is he truly lost?

Love. Blood. Betrayal. Revenge. Darkness threatens to claim the Shadowhunters in the harrowing fifth book of the Mortal Instruments series.


City of Lost Souls by Cassandra Clare

My rating: 1.25 of 5 stars


City of Lost Souls (The Mortal Instruments, #5)(Source: I own a copy of this book.)
This is book 5 in the ‘Mortal Instruments’ series, and CC should really have stopped after book 3 in my opinion.
Jace is not Jace, Alec is an idiot, Isabelle is nothing like the Isabelle we loved in the first three books, and I’m wondering why I even bothered to finish this bore-fest.


I really enjoyed the first three books in this series, but book 4 and this book have just been a huge disappointment.

I don’t know what is wrong with the characters in this series, but they have all become seriously irritating. Jace is not himself at all, Clary is pretty boring, Simon has suddenly become a player which isn’t who he was before at all, and even Isabelle doesn’t behave like herself. Then of course there’s Alec, who is seriously asking for it. I simply cannot believe how selfish, petty, and immature he is!

The storyline in this should have been interesting, but unfortunately I was bored, and it only got worse. Losing the will to live is more like what I was feeling whilst reading this book. Even taking breaks it was literally killing me.
We did get the odd glimpse of the glory of the former books, but unfortunately these glimpses were brief, and very far between, and just couldn’t lift this book out of the hole in the ground that it belongs in. This book bored me so much, that even cleaning seemed to look appealing, and that really is saying something. Having finished it, I now wish I could have those hours of my life back that I wasted reading this rubbish, and of course, we were then left with a good old CC cliff-hanger. Well I’m sorry, but after this book, it will take a hell of a lot for me to even consider reading the next one. I am well and truly done.
Overall; boring, irritating, and makes me doubt my love for the first 3 books.
2.5 out of 10.


1 comment:

  1. I am really happy I didn't like the first book to continue because I knew this series was not for me. Sorry you didn't like it.

    ReplyDelete