Tuesday, 21 January 2014

Avalon (Avalon #1) by Mindee Arnett

Sponsored post: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to HarperCollins and Edelweiss.
Avalon (Avalon, #1)
Blurb (from Goodreads):
A ragtag group of teenage mercenaries who crew the spaceship Avalon stumble upon a conspiracy that could threaten the entire galaxy in this fascinating and fast-paced sci-fi adventure from author Mindee Arnett.

Of the various star systems that make up the Confederation, most lie thousands of light-years from First Earth-and out here, no one is free. The agencies that govern the Confederation are as corrupt as the crime bosses who patrol it, and power is held by anyone with enough greed and ruthlessness to claim it. That power is derived from one thing: metatech, the devices that allow people to travel great distances faster than the speed of light.

Jeth Seagrave and his crew of teenage mercenaries have survived in this world by stealing unsecured metatech, and they're damn good at it. Jeth doesn't care about the politics or the law; all he cares about is earning enough money to buy back his parents' ship, Avalon, from his crime-boss employer and getting himself and his sister, Lizzie, the heck out of Dodge. But when Jeth finds himself in possession of information that both the crime bosses and the government are willing to kill for, he is going to have to ask himself how far he'll go to get the freedom he's wanted for so long.

Avalon is the perfect fit for teens new to sci-fi as well as seasoned sci-fi readers looking for more books in the YA space-and a great match for fans of Joss Whedon's cult hit show Firefly.


Avalon by Mindee Arnett

My rating: 3.75 of 5 stars


Avalon (Avalon, #1)(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to HarperCollins and Edelweiss.)
Jeth is a thief, and he’s good at it.
Leader of a gang of teens who work for an extremely powerful man, Jeth is slowly saving his money in hopes of buying back the Avalon – his dead parent’s spaceship, which his uncle lost whilst gambling.
When Jeth is approached by a man claiming to be from the ITA (Interstellar Transport Agency), and offered a deal in which he would get his ship back, he is loath to cross his boss Hammer, and instead tries to use the situation to his advantage with his boss.

Things take a turn for the worse though, and suddenly Jeth and his crew end up in a very dangerous and risky position.
Can Jeth really gain anything from such a dodgy situation though? Can he keep his younger sister from being sent to work in a brother by his boss? And who can he really trust?


This was an interesting sci-fi/dystopian, but I lost interest towards the end.

Jeth was an okay character, but I did think him a little too trusting and naïve at times. When he thought his situation was getting better and better, I thought it was getting worse and worse!

The storyline was good, and I loved the creepy moments we got at the beginning. This book reminded me a bit of the film ‘Event Horizon’ at points, and I really was creeped out in some of the earlier chapters.
Unfortunately though I felt like the story lost its way a bit around the 50% mark. Although we continued to have lots of interesting developments, I found myself really easily distracted which wasn’t the case at all in the earlier chapters. I also felt like some of the explanations of things which we received became a little hard to believe, even in the sci-fi setting of this book, which spoiled certain parts for me.
There was some romance, although again there were trust issues, and it was quite difficult to work out who would betray who. There were again some twists in the relationships in this book though which was good.

The ending was okay, but I had lost interest by that point to be honest. I will probably read the sequel because I really liked the first half of this book, but it did become a bit boring towards the end.
Overall; started strong but lost its way a bit towards the end.
7.5 out of 10.


4 comments:

  1. Sorry you didn't like this more. I'm curious about this and will check it out if I can get it at the library. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing. I hope by now you know I respect your opinion and if you were disappointed I'm sure I would be too. Too many great books out to waste my time on mediocre. :-)

    Anna from Shout with Emaginette

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed this book. It kind of started with a bang, fizzled a bit and then took off again. But I love sci fi. I did kind of wish it was in Jeth's POV, I felt a bit disconnected with the third person POV.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This still sounds pretty great to me. I should be reading it soon.

    ReplyDelete