Wednesday, 4 December 2013

Torn by Cat Clarke


Torn
Blurb (from Godreads):
Four girls. One dead body. A whole lot of guilt.

Alice King isn’t expecting the holiday of a lifetime when she sets off with her classmates on a trip to the Scottish wilderness, but she’s not exactly prepared for an experience beyond her darkest nightmares…

Alice and her best friend Cass are stuck in a cabin with Polly, the social outcast, and Rae, the moody emo-girl. Then there’s Tara – queen of mean. Powerful, beautiful and cruel, she likes nothing better than putting people down.

Cass decides it’s time to teach Tara a lesson she’ll never forget. And so begins a series of events that will change the lives of these girls forever...

A compelling story of guilty secrets, troubled friendship and burgeoning love.


Torn by Cat Clarke

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


Torn(Source: I own a copy of this book.)
Alice and Tara used to be friends, but now Tara is popular, and Alice isn’t.
When they are forced to share a cabin with 3 other girls whilst on a school trip, Alice isn’t impressed at Tara’s behaviour towards one of the other girls, and although she initially doesn’t want to, she joins in on a prank on Tara that goes horribly wrong.
Can the girls live with the secret of what happened to Tara? Can Tara’s family move on without her? And could something have been done to save Tara?


I was a little wary of reading this one because I wasn’t the biggest fan of this author’s other book ‘Entangled’, but I’m so glad I did because I really enjoyed the mystery in this one, and it also made me laugh!

Alice was an interesting character, although at times I was a little worried how she didn’t lose more sleep over what had happened. I did feel bad for her, and for the other girls, but I really didn’t understand how they could live with the guilt of what they had done.

I liked the storyline in this one, and I thought the mystery element was done well. I really enjoyed trying to work out what would happen, and every time a new problem came up I couldn’t help but laugh at the characters expense!
There were some interesting little twists in this that I liked, and again I liked the humour. It’s a bit difficult to share some of the more humorous moments with you because of spoilers, but I really did find myself laughing at this book!

There was some romance in this book, which while good also had a little twist to it, and was very much on the edge of how clever of a decision this was for Alice. I did enjoy the romance though, even when I thought it was risky.

I liked the mystery in this book most of all though, and it was this that kept me reading. I did predict where Tara was going to end up, but I thought that was pretty obvious. I thought the tension over the secret and what would happen was good though, and way better than entangled!
The ending was also pretty good, although I did think it would have been nice to have seen a bit more about what happened to Alice and Co. at the end. The ending was satisfactory though, even though we were left wondering about some things, and if there was a sequel I would definitely read it.
Overall; a good YA mystery.
8 out of 10


1 comment:

  1. Now I am very intrigued. I haven't hear of this one before. Happy the Mystery was good. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete